Requested origin trial not appearing in origin trial feature pipeline

Aaron Krajeski

Jun 25, 2021, 3:19:12 PM6/25/21
to experimentation-dev
Hey all,

Following this guide. I requested an origin trial for the "New Canvas 2D API" using go/new-origin-trial on April 22nd. I still do not see my origin trial listed in go/origin-trials-feature-pipeline, have I missed a step?
  The intent to experiment is on the blink-dev mailing list Intent to Experiment: New Canvas 2D API if you want more information about the OT.

  Cheers,
    Aaron

Jason Chase

Jun 25, 2021, 4:39:14 PM6/25/21
to experimentation-dev, Aaron Krajeski
Hi Aaron,

Apologies, your request appears to have got missed on our todo list. We'll follow up on the request shortly.

Thanks,
Jason

Aaron Krajeski

Jun 25, 2021, 4:44:21 PM6/25/21
to Jason Chase, experimentation-dev
No worries! Please let me know if you need me to update anything.

Aaron Krajeski

Aug 20, 2021, 9:31:17 AM8/20/21
to Jason Chase, experimentation-dev
Hey Jason,

  One of our users is having trouble getting the NewCanvas2DAPI OT working, they are getting ValidTokenNotProvided:

unnamed.png

Any ideas?

Jason Chase

Aug 20, 2021, 10:57:27 AM8/20/21
to Aaron Krajeski, Jason Chase, experimentation-dev
It looks like the NewCanvas2DAPI feature isn't properly integrated with the OT framework in Chromium. Specifically, I don't see an "origin_trial_feature_name" set for the feature flag:

That would explain the result shown in the screenshot (token status = Valid, but trial status = ValidTokenNotProvided). Looking at the history for runtime_enabled_features.json5, it doesn't seem like there were any other changes for that flag, so I'm guessing the integration just got missed.

The OT team usually double-checks that the integration is in place, but apparently we missed that this time.  The ideal approach is to add web tests to ensure the feature-OT integration - we need to do a better job of advertising that as well.

Unless there's something bizarre going on here, you'll need to get the OT integration landed for the trial to work.

Thanks,
Jason

Aaron Krajeski

Aug 20, 2021, 10:58:55 AM8/20/21
to Jason Chase, experimentation-dev
Thanks! I'm on it. Will we need to wait for the next release in order for it to be available in that case?

Jason Chase

Aug 20, 2021, 12:00:02 PM8/20/21
to Aaron Krajeski, Jason Chase, experimentation-dev
Yes, you'll have to wait to the next release. Unless, you can get the change merged back (which might be a tough sell).

If it's not available until the next release, we can just push back the OT timeline.