Queries on Google API usage in Chromium

Asesh Shrestha

Jan 18, 2021, 1:12:17 AM1/18/21
to Chromium Embedders
Few days back I got an email on update on Google API usage in Chromium browsers. So I have a few questions regarding it as our browser depends on Google account in our Chromium fork.
  1. After following the guide lines as specified in that email to remove the client id and secret, will users be able to sign into Google accounts from Google's sign in page from Chromium forks? AFAIK, signing into Google accounts won't work anymore.
  2. Will it affect other APIs like: Chrome spelling and Translate APIs that we have been using in our Chromium fork too? Are they being kept private too?
Thanks

Jochen Eisinger

Jan 19, 2021, 5:14:05 AM1/19/21
to Asesh Shrestha, Chromium Embedders
Hey,

Yes, signing into Google Accounts should continue to work.

For unauthenticated APIs, nothing changes at this time: access to private Chrome APIs is provided only to support development. They already have quota restrictions, and the APIs may change without notice in the future.

best
-jochen

”This email and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.”

Asesh Shrestha

Jan 19, 2021, 5:44:19 AM1/19/21
to Chromium Embedders, joc...@chromium.org, Chromium Embedders, Asesh Shrestha
Thanks for replying. I have just finished testing our Chromium fork by making those changes. I have found out that signing into Google accounts works and the features like Chrome translate and spell checker are working too.

Thanks