Important changes to Password Management on Android

Anna Tsvirchkova

Apr 23, 2024, 7:30:31 AMApr 23
to embedd...@chromium.org, chrome-passwor...@google.com, Chirag Desai, Michael Fink, Vasilii Sukhanov

Hi everyone,

We want to raise awareness for a few important changes we are making. Starting with https://crrev.com/c/5402473, the Password Manager will no longer use the LoginDatabase on Android only (other platforms won't be affected). For the time being it is possible to revert to the old behavior by setting the build flag `use_login_database_as_backend=true` ( via your args.gn file).

Please note that this configuration is completely unsupported and we will eventually delete this flow. On top of that we are also planning to remove the implementation of the password management UI for Chrome on Android (reachable via Settings -> Password Manager) later this year.

Thank you,

Chrome Password Manager team