Fwd: Enabling QUIC in tip-of-tree

Ryan Sleevi

Mar 9, 2020, 1:45:15 PM3/9/20
to Chromium Embedders, Dharani Govindan
Forwarding to embedder-dev@, although discussion is requested on net-dev@

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: 'Dharani Govindan' via net-dev <net...@chromium.org>
Date: Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 1:31 PM
Subject: Enabling QUIC in tip-of-tree
To: chromium-dev <chromi...@chromium.org>, <net...@chromium.org>, <blin...@chromium.org>

Hello Fellow Chrome Developers,

QUIC has been enabled in Google Chrome for 90% of users via a multi-year field trial, and default enabled in a number of popular mobile apps including Google Search and YouTube, for several years. As our various blog posts and SIGCOMM 2017 paper have detailed, this has been a huge win for performance and user experience and we are confident that our QUIC support is robust and solid.

As a result, we will be changing the way QUIC is enabled in M82. Instead of explicitly enabling QUIC when the network stack is configured, QUIC will be enabled by default. This means that QUIC will be implicitly enabled for embedders who accept the default options. An embedder will need to explicitly disable QUIC if they do not wish to support it. This can be done by setting the "enable_quic" member of URLRequestContextConfig to false.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact net...@chromium.org

Thanks

QUIC Team