emedder questions RE: disabling BuiltinCertificateVerifierEnabled enterprise policy (on mac)

Erik Anderson

Aug 31, 2022, 8:19:35 PM8/31/22
to Matt Mueller, embedd...@chromium.org

<moving this over to embedder-dev>

Yes, the issue I saw looks quite similar to 1351985 in terms of it reporting ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID.

In the situation I looked at, the cert doesn’t comply with CT requirements (despite chaining to a trusted root) whereas in that existing bug it seems unlikely the cert google.com is presenting is not compliant (though the end result of a CT failure could, of course, still happen if the Mac verifier has an issue). It also appeared to be a persistent issue affecting all of their machines.

Since it was a fairly esoteric interaction with how they chose to issue their cert and it appeared to be an issue with the macOS resolver that will soon be irrelevant once the built-in resolver is enabled by default, I didn’t do a further follow up in the form of a crbug.

As noted in https://crbug.com/1346444, Edge will likely ship our own root store using the built-in verifier. If we’re going to expose a similar policy, I will likely name it something like BuiltInRootStoreUsed.

Is the M107 change going to change or remove the CHROME_ROOT_STORE_SUPPORTED build flag? Or is that planned for around M111? If it’s going to stick around until then and am embedder sets it to false, would you anticipate the ChromeRootStoreEnabled policy just controlling if the built-in verifier gets used?

To reiterate the reason I’m asking these questions: I’m trying to determine if I now have less time than I previously anticipated to get our own PKI Metadata component stood up.