V8 change breaking WPT expected results

1 view

Emanuel Ziegler

Feb 18, 2021, 11:24:06 AM2/18/21
to ecosyst...@chromium.org
Hello,

While trying to land a CL in V8 which is correcting a wrong error message, I encountered a problem because this error message is used in WPTs expected results already. When this change will be merged into the Chromium repository, it will therefore break the WPTs. I have a fix prepared for it that would fix the expected results. However, I was wondering if there was a cleaner method that could avoid breaking the tests temporarily, e.g. by relaxing the expectation.

Thank you,
     Emanuel

Stephen Mcgruer

Feb 18, 2021, 11:48:05 AM2/18/21
to Emanuel Ziegler, ecosystem-infra
Hi Emanuel, thanks for reaching out :)

Ahead of the V8 roll, you could remove those -expected.txt files, and instead add entries to TestExpectations marking them as Failure. This would effectively relax the expectation, from failing exactly as the expected.txt file expects, to instead just failing in 'some manner'. Post-roll, one could then remove the TestExpectations entries and add back the (now modified) -expected.txt

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Stephen

Emanuel Ziegler

Feb 23, 2021, 11:33:27 AM2/23/21
to Stephen Mcgruer, ecosystem-infra
Hi Stephen,

Thank you, this seems to work! I've uploaded a CL accordingly and once this has passed will submit the V8 CL and then roll the changes back with the correct expected results.

Cheers,
    Emanuel