Closure on Closure

Tim Van der Lippe

Nov 26, 2020, 8:29:10 AM11/26/20
to devtools-dev

Hello devtools-dev,

As you might have seen, yesterday we removed the Closure Compiler from the DevTools frontend. This marks the end of crbug.com/1011811 and the 13 month migration that took place to migrate from Closure Compiler to TypeScript.

Can I now use TypeScript-only features?

Yes. You can now write new code in TypeScript files (*.ts) and use all features that TypeScript offers. While it is possible to use TypeScript to define complex types, please continue to prefer the most direct approach to specify the types you require; simplicity is a core principle of Chromium, and one we want to honor as much as possible.

Should I migrate existing JavaScript files to TypeScript?

Please do not manually migrate existing JavaScript files to TypeScript unless absolutely necessary. We have started working on automation to migrate our JavaScript files to TypeScript and we hope to share a design doc on that work in the near future.

Is there a style guide for TypeScript?

At the moment, there is no public TypeScript style guide. We will adopt or create ESLint rules that will enforce TypeScript-specific behaviors in the coming weeks and months. We will also provide further guidance once a public TypeScript style guide becomes available.

Thank you to everyone who was involved with this migration! It has been a monumental effort to make this transition happen.

Regards,

Team LON