Updating DevTools build output for debugging DevTools

Tim Van der Lippe

Feb 4, 2021, 9:55:46 AM2/4/21
to devtools-dev

Hey everyone,

As part of cleaning up the build system, we are removing numerous copies of the same files in the DevTools build output: crbug.com/1174013 This means that we will treat out/Default/gen/front_end as the sole source of truth and we will remove all other copies (which are out/Default/resources/inspector and out/Default/gen/devtools).

We will be removing the build output of resources/inspector next week. Therefore, you should update any command that relies on resources/inspector and update it to use gen/front_end instead. For example, as documented in our workflows.md, the --custom-devtools-frontend location will need to be updated. The new command will look like this:

<path-to-chrome>/chrome --custom-devtools-frontend=file://$(realpath out/Default/gen/front_end)

Please let us know if you run into any issues.

Cheers,

LON

Tim Van der Lippe

Feb 8, 2021, 7:56:46 AM2/8/21
to devtools-dev
Hey everyone,

We are planning to start the removal of
out/Default/resources/inspector on Wednesday February 10th 2021. Please make sure your commands/scripts are updated prior to that day, to avoid working with stale build artifacts. When the removal is starting, I will send out another reminder to suggest the removal of out/Default/resources/inspector to avoid accidental usages of the stale build output in the folder.

Please let us know if you run into any issues.

Cheers,
LON

Rob Paveza

Feb 8, 2021, 12:01:07 PM2/8/21
to tvande...@chromium.org, devtoo...@chromium.org

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the update there. My recollection was that Blink web tests run with scripts (specifically the _test_runner scripts) from the resources/inspector path.

I see that chromium.src/third_party/blink/tools/blinkpy/web_tests/port/base.py still defines inspector_build_directory as pointing to out/Default/resources/inspector. As you note, it’s intended to debug web tests.

Can you respond back to this thread when you have the CL with the corresponding updates to the Python scripts?

Thanks,

Rob

Tim Van der Lippe

Feb 8, 2021, 12:42:46 PM2/8/21
to Rob Paveza, devtoo...@chromium.org
Hello Rob,

Thanks for finding that usage. Yes we will clean these up as part of the process. To make things easier for everyone, I will make sure to update such scripts tomorrow (Tuesday) so that we can safely land the removal on Wednesday.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Van der Lippe

Feb 11, 2021, 7:00:10 AM2/11/21
to devtoo...@chromium.org
Small update: we have hit some issues with non-determinism in the build system, which is blocking the removal of resources/inspector. As soon as these issues are resolved, the folder will be removed.

Patrick Brosset

Feb 25, 2021, 2:08:59 PM2/25/21
to Tim Van der Lippe, devtoo...@chromium.org

Hello Tim and team,

Would you be able to share a quick status on this migration? Last I heard from you was that some issue had been hit, and I was wondering if progress had been made to resolve this.

Thanks a lot!

Patrick

Mar 3, 2021, 7:24:31 AM3/3/21
to Patrick Brosset, devtoo...@chromium.org
https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/devtools/devtools-frontend/+/2721954 has been submitted and the output in `resources/inspector` will no longer be usable to launch DevTools. To prevent accidental usage of stale build artifacts in this folder, we recommend pulling the commit and `rm rf out/Default/resources/inspector`.

Let us know if you are running into any issues.