Proposing google-upgrade-googletest-case

Julie Jeongeun Kim

Dec 19, 2023, 7:00:44 AM12/19/23
to cxx
Hello folks,

I propose enabling the google-upgrade-googletest-case clang-tidy lint. A survey of existing instances is at here.

This is not related to code logic, but it helps to prevent additional deprecated test case APIs in chromium code.

Feedback appreciated! If there are no objections, I'll enable this in early January 2024.

Thanks,
Julie

Peter Kasting

Dec 19, 2023, 11:01:32 AM12/19/23
to Julie Jeongeun Kim, cxx
+1 for automated tools to prevent backsliding on a conversion we've basically finished.

PK

Peter Boström

Dec 19, 2023, 12:46:53 PM12/19/23
to Peter Kasting, Julie Jeongeun Kim, cxx
Since these are wrapped in #ifndef GTEST_REMOVE_LEGACY_TEST_CASEAPI_ would we also consider defining this so that we stop backsliding? If we could do so I'm assuming that the migration is fairly mechanical for the few remaining violations.

Peter Kasting

Dec 19, 2023, 12:48:04 PM12/19/23
to Peter Boström, Julie Jeongeun Kim, cxx
On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 9:46 AM Peter Boström <pb...@chromium.org> wrote:
Since these are wrapped in #ifndef GTEST_REMOVE_LEGACY_TEST_CASEAPI_ would we also consider defining this so that we stop backsliding? If we could do so I'm assuming that the migration is fairly mechanical for the few remaining violations.

Ah, if we can define something that makes this a compile error, that's even better than a clang-tidy pass.

PK

Julie Jeongeun Kim

Jan 10, 2024, 8:48:50 AMJan 10
to cxx, pkas...@google.com, Julie Jeongeun Kim, cxx, pb...@chromium.org
It seems that the issue, https://crbug.com/1474588, includes enabling GTEST_REMOVE_LEGACY_TEST_CASEAPI_.
If it's enough, I'll skip this check in Tricium.

Thanks,

Peter Kasting

Jan 17, 2024, 3:22:25 PMJan 17
to Julie Jeongeun Kim, cxx, pb...@chromium.org
On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 5:48 AM Julie Jeongeun Kim <jk...@igalia.com> wrote:
It seems that the issue, https://crbug.com/1474588, includes enabling GTEST_REMOVE_LEGACY_TEST_CASEAPI_.
If it's enough, I'll skip this check in Tricium.

That bug seems unowned. If we were likely going to complete it soon, I'd say this is unnecessary; but I don't know that we can say that.

Tentatively, I'd say we should either enable this check (and post on the bug that it can be removed when that conversion is finished) or else actively try to finish the conversion immediately.

PK

Julie Jeongeun Kim

Jan 18, 2024, 9:29:06 AMJan 18
to cxx, pkas...@google.com, cxx, pb...@chromium.org, Julie Jeongeun Kim
Thanks for the suggestion. It sounds great. I prefer enabling this check and post on the bug.
If there is no objection, I'll work on it.

Julie