Shutting down Sabre (https://sabre.ct.comodo.com/)

Rob Stradling

Apr 4, 2024, 6:44:17 AMApr 4
to Certificate Transparency Policy, #CTOps
Hi folks.

The original Sabre log is the last remaining non-sharded log that's currently Usable in the Chrome and Apple CT log lists.  Since Sectigo is now also operating Usable sharded logs, the time has come for us to announce our plan to shut down https://sabre.ct.comodo.com/.

Here is our intended timeline:
  • 1st May 2024: Stop accepting add-chain and add-pre-chain requests.
  • 29th May 2024: Stop accepting all requests; shut down the log server software and reclaim the resources.

We have asked the Chrome and Apple CT programs to plan the retirement of https://sabre.ct.comodo.com/ from their log lists accordingly.

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist

Rob Stradling

Apr 5, 2024, 3:30:38 PMApr 5
to Certificate Transparency Policy, #CTOps
A community member has asked us to consider keeping https://sabre.ct.comodo.com/ operational in the ReadOnly state for 398 days after 1st May 2024, instead of transitioning this log to Retired after only a few weeks. The potential benefit to the ecosystem of this suggestion is increased resilience in the event of other logs being unexpectedly Retired. We think this is a good suggestion and we're happy to do this.

Therefore, we'd like to update our timeline for deprecating https://sabre.ct.comodo.com/ as follows:

2024-05-01 14:00:00 UTC: Transition from Usable to ReadOnly.  (Stop accepting add-chain and add-pre-chain requests).
2025-06-04 14:00:00 UTC: Transition from ReadOnly to Rejected.  (Stop accepting all requests; shut down and reclaim resources).

May 1, 2024, 4:50:28 AMMay 1
to Certificate Transparency Policy, #CTOps
> 2024-05-01 14:00:00 UTC: Transition from Usable to ReadOnly.  (Stop accepting add-chain and add-pre-chain requests).

This change has gone into effect a few hours earlier than anticipated.

https://sabre.ct.comodo.com/ is now only accepting GET requests, which means that add-chain and add-pre-chain POST requests will now get an HTTP 403 (Forbidden) response.