Re: [chromium-dev] Is anyone using clangd successfully?

Takuto Ikuta

Dec 2, 2019, 6:33:16 PM12/2/19
to harri...@google.com, Clang maintainers, Chromium-dev

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 2:29 AM 'Dan Harrington' via Chromium-dev <chromi...@chromium.org> wrote:
I've noticed that lately clangd hasn't been working for me. clangd is crashing with an assertion:
'undeclared non-type annotation should be unqualified'.

The cause appears to be that some generated header files are missing, since I don't have a complete build.
Doing a complete build, I can avoid this problem, but there are two problems with that:

1. A complete build takes a long time.
Is there a way to just generate headers (proto, mojom, etc...) without building everything?

It is possible by specifying header generation target to autoninja/ninja.
"target^" syntax may be useful for that purpose.

2. The underlying problem is that invalid code can crash clangd, and it's likely to encounter invalid code while I'm developing. Further, clangd appears to be indexing all of the code, so invalid code anywhere can result in a crash.

Note that I'm using vscode. When clangd crashes, it just stops working until I restart the editor. Perhaps the impact of clangd crashing is different when using other editors.