chromium clang error

vishal bs

Mar 6, 2020, 5:48:58 AM3/6/20
to Clang maintainers
I'm trying to compile an old webrtc media server on windows 10 VS2019  with chromium. Whenever I try to build my media server, it gives me the given error.
To build chromium I'm using:
gn gen out/debug --sln=chrome --filters=//media/gpu/* --ide=vs2019 --no-deps --args="is_component_build = true is_debug = true is_clang=true enable_nacl=false"

And the Error when I build my webrtc server is:
Error C1189 #error: "Only clang-cl is supported on Windows, see https://crbug.com/988071"   Server  D:\projects\chromium-src\src\base\compiler_specific.h   13

Nico Weber

Mar 6, 2020, 6:42:53 AM3/6/20
to vishal bs, Clang maintainers
The error is emitted if Visual Studio's compiler is used. Using it is not supported.

However, you do say "is_clang=true", so the build shouldn't be using Visual Studio's compiler. You need to figure out why it's getting used.

How old is "old"? I'm guessing your checkout is some strange state somehow.

vishal bs

Mar 6, 2020, 7:04:42 AM3/6/20
to Clang maintainers, bsvis...@gmail.com
Thanks for your reply, Firstly let me explain what I'm up-to and how I'm doing it.

1) I have an old webrtc media server which was written for 2017 checkout of webrtc and chromium.
2) What my intention is I have the latest checkout of webrtc and chromium and I want make the same media server to work with these latest checkouts.
3) I have made the necessary changes to the old media-server such that all deprecated calls have been replaced with the current implementation.
4) Whenever I try to build my webrtc-media server I'm getting this error.

The command I'm using to build chromium is this
gn gen out/debug --sln=chrome --filters=//media/gpu/* --ide=vs2019 --no-deps --args="is_component_build = true is_debug = true is_clang = true enable_nacl = false"

and

autoninja
-C out/debug media/gpu

Is there anything wrong In this and I hope you got what is my goal.

Nico Weber

Mar 6, 2020, 7:43:53 AM3/6/20
to vishal bs, Clang maintainers
Does your server use Chromium's new base/ code, but Chormium's old build/ files? If so, try updating the build/ folder.

But this seems off-topic for this list. Since you say the error happens while building webrtc code, maybe ask on some webrtc forum.

vishal bs

Mar 6, 2020, 7:46:24 AM3/6/20
to Clang maintainers, bsvis...@gmail.com
Yes my server uses the new chromium codebase and webrtc new chromium codebase. As I didn't get any response in any other forum I thought of posting it here.

vishal bs

Mar 10, 2020, 2:38:11 AM3/10/20
to Clang maintainers
I dono why this is happening can anyone suggest on how to link custom clang binary to my visual studio such that it compiles. I have installed LLVM clang but im not sure how to set visual studio 2019 to use clang.