Plan for APIs Going Forward

Kyle Horimoto

Apr 17, 2015, 2:03:14 PM4/17/15
to chromium...@chromium.org
Hey team,

I've had discussions with a few team members regarding how we should go about writing additional pages which require new APIs. For example, I've been looking at the autofill and password pages in particular; these pages have data which doesn't fit nicely into the getters/setters provided by the settingsPrivate API. I know Michael is looking into similar issues with the language & input pages.

Unfortunately, blocking each additional page on adding a new private API will be a slow process, and Jeremy and I were thinking about ways in which we could parallelize implementing these new pages and writing their corresponding APIs. We thought it would be a good idea to talk this over with the whole team as it has implications on how we will all continue to build out pages for the remainder of the project.

Is everyone okay with a meeting this afternoon? Thanks!

Kyle

Jeremy Klein

Apr 17, 2015, 2:05:03 PM4/17/15
to Kyle Horimoto, chromium...@chromium.org

Works for me.

Oren Blasberg

Apr 17, 2015, 2:12:44 PM4/17/15
to Jeremy Klein, Kyle Horimoto, chromium...@chromium.org

Steven Bennetts

Apr 17, 2015, 2:34:58 PM4/17/15
to Oren Blasberg, Jeremy Klein, Kyle Horimoto, chromium...@chromium.org
Unfortunately I have to leave early today, right after lunch.

Please feel free to discuss this without me this afternoon.

My 2c: Pipelining the process makes complete sense to me, I would imagine 4 stages:

1) Spec out the API. Discuss whether it merits its own API or part of settingsPrivate.
2) Mock out the API in JS. Either use existing chrome.send calls if convenient, or just log events to the console.
3) Develop the C++ API.
4) Create the new JS page.

#1 should be pretty brief. Don't be shy about poking people for feedback. Some cases might be more complex, but it will also be important to get the API right (or close to right) for those cases.
#2-4 should be able to be done in parallel.

Jeremy Klein

Apr 17, 2015, 2:45:15 PM4/17/15
to Steven Bennetts, Oren Blasberg, Kyle Horimoto, chromium...@chromium.org
<wrong from address again...>

Cool, this is pretty much exactly the plan we discussed here as well :-). I think meeting to hash out the details and time estimates is still worthwhile, but it wounds like we're on the same page in terms of the general path.