Unnecessary tracked files in third_party/polymer/v1_0/components-chromium/

Demetrios Papadopoulos

Mar 28, 2016, 6:16:01 PM3/28/16
to chromium...@chromium.org
Hi,

While I was adding a dependency on <paper-listbox> to third_party/polymer, I noticed that we are tracking a lot of unnecessary files. Specifically every subfolder  of third_party/polymer/v1_0/components-chromium/ has

.bower.json
CONTRIBUTING.md
README.md
bower.json
index.html

Can we remove those files from the repository if they are indeed unnecessary? Additionally to removing them from the index, we can update src/.gitignore to ignore them so that we don't get spam when doing 'git status'.

Thank you,
Demetrios

Demetrios Papadopoulos

Mar 28, 2016, 9:37:25 PM3/28/16
to Chromium-Polymer
Basically I am proposing this, https://codereview.chromium.org/1834313003.

Tim Sergeant

Mar 28, 2016, 9:45:08 PM3/28/16
to Demetrios Papadopoulos, Chromium-Polymer
My understanding is that Bower will need the .bower.json files to function correctly (see https://code.google.com/p/chromium/codesearch#chromium/src/third_party/polymer/README.chromium&sq=package:chromium&l=44). I agree that there's not a lot of need to keep 50 identical copies of the other files lying around, though.

Michael Giuffrida

Mar 28, 2016, 10:21:08 PM3/28/16
to Tim Sergeant, Demetrios Papadopoulos, Chromium-Polymer
I find the real "bower.json" files useful for reference when dealing with bower issues or checking what versions of the elements we actually have. Not sure about the ".bower.json" ones.

The elements' README files are auto-generated so they're not essential. index.html and demo.html could be axed too, as long as they're not actually used.

You may want to check with the licensing people (not on this list) before deleting anything.

Demetrios Papadopoulos

Mar 29, 2016, 1:47:00 PM3/29/16
to Chromium-Polymer, tser...@chromium.org, dpa...@chromium.org
@Tim: If I understand our update flow correctly the .bower.json files inside components-chromium/ are not actually used by anything. Specifically here is my understanding
  1. bower is configured to download components to third_party/polymer/v1_0/components. Note that this folder is not tracked by the Chromium repo.
  2. After components/ folder is populated we are running this rsync command which rsync's everything (including all unneeded files like .bower.json) from components/ to components-chromium/.
  3. Within components-chromium/ we do some extra work to generate the foo-extracted.js files.
The only .bower.json files that have a chance to be read by a tool are the ones in components/ which we already do not track. Fixing step 2 above to not rsync unnecessary files is a better alternative to my .gitignore updating in the example CL.

@Michael: We also generate components_summary.txt which lists the version that we have for each polymer element, so I still think components-chromium/bower.json is redundant, but I am OK with keeping it if it helps others and just removing all other unneeded files.

On Monday, March 28, 2016 at 3:16:01 PM UTC-7, Demetrios Papadopoulos wrote:
Hi,

While I was adding a dependency on <paper-listbox> to third_party/polymer, I noticed that we are tracking a lot of unnecessary files. Specifically every subfolder  of third_party/polymer/v1_0/components-chromium/ has

.bower.json
CONTRIBUTING.md
README.md
bower.json
index.html

Can we remove those files from the repository if they are indeed unnecessary? Additionally to removing them from the index, we can update src/.gitignore to ignore them so that we don't get spam when doing 'git status'.

Thank you,
Demetrios

Demetrios Papadopoulos

Mar 29, 2016, 2:18:26 PM3/29/16
to Chromium-Polymer, tser...@chromium.org, dpa...@chromium.org
@Michael: I just realized that we use the components-chromium/**/.bower.json files to generate the components_summary.txt file. We could simply modify create_components_summary.py to use components/**/.bower.json. I'll update my CL with my latest suggestions, to make the discussion clearer to follow.

Demetrios Papadopoulos

Mar 29, 2016, 2:55:09 PM3/29/16
to Chromium-Polymer, tser...@chromium.org, dpa...@chromium.org
Done. See latest version of https://codereview.chromium.org/1834313003.