where to download recent Chromium OS for VirtualBox

Maneesh Pangasa

Feb 27, 2014, 12:30:19 PM2/27/14
to chromium-...@chromium.org
I have been running the last Vanilla build (number 4028) of Chromium OS released April of 2013 on Hexxeh's website as a virtual machine in VirtualBox on my 2009 MacBook Pro (shipped with OS X Snow Leopard) now running OS X Mavericks (10.9.2). Anyways, I have been trying to find a more recent build of Chromium OS to run and since Hexxeh has unfortunately discontinued further updates have been looking for other developers. I'm aware of Arnoldthebat's builds already and tried downloading VDIs of his November 2013 and December 2013 builds already. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. Either when I setup the virtual machine and run it I get a kernel panic error (easily corrected by enabling EFI for special OS's in my case) or I get a BIOS screen with a notice it is testing the memory and then I get a grub menu with the following options: boot local image A, local image B, verified image A, verified image B, or USB boot. If I select any of these options I get a black screen with the text booting local image A, local image B (etc). However, it doesn't load anything it just sticks on this screen. Any ideas where I can get a more recent build. Even if it's not a 2014 build that's fine I just want something newer. I understand some of the newer builds don't work well with VirtualBox. So if I can get the newest available working build that would be great. Thanks!

Valdomir, Roberto A.

Feb 27, 2014, 12:34:04 PM2/27/14
to maneesh...@gmail.com, chromium-...@chromium.org
you can download images from waterfall.

Saludos,

Roberto A. Valdomir
Mobile: (+598) 93 868 147 | Skype: roberto.a.valdomir
@roberto.valdomir |
re.vu/robertovaldomir

On 27 February 2014 15:30, Maneesh Pangasa <maneesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

ScottS

Mar 2, 2014, 5:11:30 PM3/2/14
to chromium-...@chromium.org, maneesh...@gmail.com
Pardon my ignorance...how can one download images from Waterfall? I see many interlinked pages of statuses, but no actually link to an image/compressed file.

Mike Frysinger

Mar 2, 2014, 5:37:48 PM3/2/14
to scott...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss, maneesh...@gmail.com

pick a builder, look at its individual builds, then use the artifacts link
-mike

Christopher Griffith

Mar 3, 2014, 10:44:30 AM3/3/14
to chromium-...@chromium.org, scott...@gmail.com, maneesh...@gmail.com
Just to clarify, Mike and Roberto, OP is not just asking where to get a build, but also one that is able to run in VirtualBox.  Your responses imply the waterfall builds do.  I personally have not been able to get them to run on VirtualBox, is there something I am missing?  Do you have 1st hand experience getting them to run on VB?

thank you and make it a great day,
chris

ScottS

Mar 3, 2014, 11:18:48 AM3/3/14
to chromium-...@chromium.org, scott...@gmail.com, maneesh...@gmail.com
Thanks @Mike. In the attached screenshot, I can't access the tar file from the highlighted file (chromiumos_base_image.tar.xz) once decompressed. Is this the correct download and it needs a password, or should I be downloading 'image.zip' and building an img, or downloading another file?
build_artifacts_link.jpg

Mike Frysinger

Mar 3, 2014, 2:45:44 PM3/3/14
to Scott S, Chromium OS discuss, maneesh...@gmail.com
i don't understand what trouble you're having.  that chromiumos_base_image.tar.xz is the right archive as it only contains the base image (which can be converted/booted).

image.zip contains the same file, but is also a lot larger as it contains many other files and uses a weaker compression scheme.
-mike

Mike Frysinger

Mar 3, 2014, 2:47:42 PM3/3/14
to christopher...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss, Scott S, Maneesh Pangasa
no, i merely answered someone else's question ("how do i download images from the waterfall").

there are no premade VB images at this time from the Chromium OS builds.  you can get any of the images though and try to convert them to VB.

personally, i don't bother with VB.  QEMU/KVM does a perfectly fine job.
-mike

Christopher Griffith

Mar 3, 2014, 4:48:09 PM3/3/14
to chromium-...@chromium.org, christopher...@gmail.com, Scott S, Maneesh Pangasa
@Mike, that is what I thought.  Often I read that all we have to do is convert the image from a build to VDI using vboxmanager.  However, this does not seem to be all that is needed because there are so many people having same problem.

As far as using Qemu/kvm, I was using that until a recent upgrade to Fedora 20 has caused Qemu to not work properly.  Thus I am now also looking back at VB.

ScottS

Mar 4, 2014, 9:36:11 AM3/4/14
to chromium-...@chromium.org, christopher...@gmail.com, Scott S, Maneesh Pangasa
Unless I'm mistaken, you must run KVM on a Linux-based machine, and cannot be run directly in Windows? For Win users, I believe we would need to create a Linux VM, then run KVM inside of it...basically a VM running a VM...which would seem to be a big performance hit.

On another note...I've been able to get some Chromium OS builds running in VMware, however, all of them experienced horrible mouse movement. Is this a common trait of COS builds running in a VM?

Christopher Griffith

Mar 14, 2014, 11:01:00 PM3/14/14
to chromium-...@chromium.org, christopher...@gmail.com, Scott S, Maneesh Pangasa
Well I figured out why qemu-kvm was acting odd since I upgraded to Fedora 20.  I needed to set "-display sdl".

Erik Martino

Aug 22, 2014, 6:22:39 AM8/22/14
to chromium-...@chromium.org, scott...@gmail.com, maneesh...@gmail.com
I tried to do a

VBoxManage convertfromraw chromeos_R39-6174.0.2014_08_21_0112-a1_x86-generic_full_dev.bin chromeos.vdi

and add it to 64 bit vm, it booted somewhat but ended in a EFI prompt.

Does anybody know if it is at all possible to run these builds on Virtualbox.

Michał T. Lorenc

Apr 13, 2015, 9:03:43 AM4/13/15
to chromium-...@chromium.org, maneesh...@gmail.com
Hi Roberto,
Where can I find on waterfall latest stable x86 images or is there any other place for download?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Michal