Chrome OS in ChromeBook is 32bit or 64bit

Vincent Haiou Jiang

Nov 24, 2011, 4:43:29 AM11/24/11
to Chromium OS discuss
Hi folks,
How are you?
I am a chromium fan, and I wanna know that whether Chrome OS in
ChromeBook(Samsung, Acer) is 32bit or 64bit? If it is 64bit, can I
change it to a 32bit version? Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,
Vincent

Ken Bartos

Nov 24, 2011, 4:58:23 AM11/24/11
to haiou...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Hi Vincent,

32 and 64 bit usually refers to the Operating system and processors as far as I know.  The Intel® AtomTM N570 Dual-Core Processor that's in both systems is an X86 chip.  The ChromeOS itself has never been referred to as 32 or 64 bit from what I have heard.  Why is this important to you?  You know you can't install windows type programs on a Chromebook, right?

Sincerely, Ken Bartos

Jonathan Kliegman

Nov 24, 2011, 9:44:30 AM11/24/11
to kenb...@gmail.com, haiou...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Chrome OS on the Samsung and Acer ChromeBooks is 32bit.

-Jon

Dave Sharp

Nov 24, 2011, 10:01:26 AM11/24/11
to kli...@google.com, kenb...@gmail.com, haiou...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Are you sure about that? The build environment demands 64bit.

Victor Khimenko

Nov 24, 2011, 10:29:28 AM11/24/11
to davem...@gmail.com, kli...@google.com, kenb...@gmail.com, haiou...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Dave Sharp <da...@sharp.cx> wrote:
Are you sure about that? The build environment demands 64bit.

Build environment demands 64bit because optimized linker needs HUGE amount of memory. Target is 32bit-only because this reduces amount of memory needed on target platform. x32 (https://sites.google.com/site/x32abi/) was discussed, but eventually not adopted. This may change in the future, but for now ChromeOS only supports 32bit mode.

Jonathan Kliegman

Nov 24, 2011, 10:40:16 AM11/24/11
to Victor Khimenko, davem...@gmail.com, kenb...@gmail.com, haiou...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Just confirming what Victor says - the build environment is 64-bit but the target is 32-bit.

There are people who have tried to make a 32-bit build environment work and gotten close but I don't believe they ever succeeded.  You should be able to find some discussions of that in the list archives as it seems to happen every 4-5 months.  No one has any objection to a 32-bit build environment, it just hasn't been a priority for anyone to work on.

Mike Frysinger

Nov 24, 2011, 12:03:09 PM11/24/11
to davem...@gmail.com, kli...@google.com, kenb...@gmail.com, haiou...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
build env doesn't matter because cross-compiling works great
-mike

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 10:01, Dave Sharp <da...@sharp.cx> wrote:
> Are you sure about that? The build environment demands 64bit.
>
> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Jonathan Kliegman <kli...@chromium.org> wrote:
>> Chrome OS on the Samsung and Acer ChromeBooks is 32bit.
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 4:58 AM, Ken Bartos <kenb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 32 and 64 bit usually refers to the Operating system and processors as far
>>> as I know.  The Intel® AtomTM N570 Dual-Core Processor that's in both
>>> systems is an X86 chip.  The ChromeOS itself has never been referred to as
>>> 32 or 64 bit from what I have heard.  Why is this important to you?  You
>>> know you can't install windows type programs on a Chromebook, right?

Sonny Rao

Nov 28, 2011, 7:12:20 AM11/28/11
to kli...@google.com, Victor Khimenko, davem...@gmail.com, kenb...@gmail.com, haiou...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Having just gotten 64bit targets working (w00t), I've noticed there
are a few places in the build where we're assuming a 64bit x86 build
environment, and that's not even counting whatever it takes to set up
the chroot environment.

Also, as has been pointed out, it's actually not possible to build the
Chromium browser binaries without a 64bit address space (at least this
is true the way we're currently building it), because the linker uses
more than 4GB of address space during the final link.

I agree that in theory if you're just building images by downloading
the binary packages and not building Chromium, it would be nice to
drop the 64bit build host requirement, but it's probably a good bit of
work to make that happen, and I don't think it's the best use of time
for our build team.

Sonny

Hai-Ou Jiang

Nov 28, 2011, 7:30:57 AM11/28/11
to Sonny Rao, kli...@google.com, Victor Khimenko, davem...@gmail.com, kenb...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Thank Sonny for your patient explanation.
How can I choose to build chromium to 32bit or 64bit binary?
For example, I found that default built binary of "remoting" module is 64bit,  and I tried to build it to 32bit with "-Dtarget-arch=ia64", but the binary built didn't work nomally.
Would you please give me some suggestion during the building process? Thanks.

Best regards,
Vincent

Sonny Rao

Nov 28, 2011, 7:37:24 AM11/28/11
to Hai-Ou Jiang, kli...@google.com, Victor Khimenko, davem...@gmail.com, kenb...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
Right now the best way to build a 64bit target is to use the
amd64-generic board.
That will build all binaries as 64bit.
Message has been deleted

Kitty Vlad

Dec 26, 2015, 8:16:29 AM12/26/15
to Chromium OS discuss
Yeah im trying to put ubunto on mine right now and from scaning this convo ill use 32 bit thanks

jlh

Dec 30, 2015, 10:41:52 PM12/30/15
to Chromium OS discuss
Depending on the Hardware, you may get a 64-bit processor...  But the Atom and A7-A6 ARM are only 32-bit processors.  I've not seen any i-3+ or AMD processors in a Chromebook.  Has anyone else ?

JLH

JR Namida

Jan 22, 2016, 5:19:36 PM1/22/16
to Chromium OS discuss
My question since the 32-bit version of Linux Google chrome is being discontinued in the first quarter of 2016 will my early Acer Chromebook stop working or stop getting secure updates?   In my mind It is essentially a Linux 32-bit version of Google' Chrome web browser on a secure platform.

JR

Josh Niesler

Jan 22, 2016, 5:27:34 PM1/22/16
to Chromium OS discuss
Hello JR,

Google support for ChromeOS will continue, regardless of what Chromebook you use. ChromeOS, while originally based on Linux, is not regarded to as a Linux distro.

Kind regards,

Josh.

JR Namida

Jan 23, 2016, 10:27:13 AM1/23/16
to Chromium OS discuss

On Friday, January 22, 2016 at 2:27:34 PM UTC-8, Josh Niesler wrote:
Hello JR,

Google support for ChromeOS will continue, regardless of what Chromebook you use. ChromeOS, while originally based on Linux, is not regarded to as a Linux distro.

Kind regards,

Josh.
* * *
Josh,

Might someone be able to extract the google chrome from Chrome o/s or 32-bit pepperflash plugin, and transfer it to a 32 bit Linux chromium?

We can always use a different web browser, but would like to keep bookmarks up dated and synced, along with google cloud in 32 bit Linux.

JR

Mike Frysinger

Jan 23, 2016, 9:48:51 PM1/23/16
to nami...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
there is no support from Google for what you describe
-mike

Message has been deleted