Crostini: Managing extra containers

DennisLfromGA

Jan 27, 2022, 3:27:50 PM1/27/22
to Chromium OS Discussion
I am using beta version 14388.37.0 / 98.0.4758.67 and have enabled the flag #crostini-multi-container which 'Allow multiple Crostini containers'.  Once restarted the option  does appear in:
  • Settings -> Advanced -> Developers -> Linux development environment -> Manage extra containers
My problem is I can enter a Container name, Image Server, and Image Alias as shown below:
Screenshot 2022-01-27 2.59.03 PM.png

But no matter what I enter for the Container it still ends up creating debian bullseye container, see below:

    [==========] Ready
    dennyl@una:~$ cat /etc/os-release
    PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)"
    NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
    VERSION_ID="11"
    VERSION="11 (bullseye)"
    VERSION_CODENAME=bullseye
    ID=debian
    HOME_URL="https://www.debian.org/"
    SUPPORT_URL="https://www.debian.org/support"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/"
    dennyl@una:~$

I have tried to conform to the imageServer and imageAlias parameters linked below:
I also tried the URL https://us.lxd.images.canonical.com/ as the Image Server to no avail.

I know this feature is not quite finished but I thought it might be good to have some guidance as to what needs to be entered in those fields in order to use a different distro than debian bullseye.

I was tempted to post this comment in the below crbug linked below, I can if need be, just let me know:
Thanx,
DennyL

Joel Hockey

Jan 27, 2022, 4:21:13 PM1/27/22
to denny.l...@gmail.com, Nicholas Verne, Chromium OS Discussion

Keith I Myers

Jan 27, 2022, 4:31:46 PM1/27/22
to Chromium OS Discussion, joelh...@chromium.org, Chromium OS Discussion, DennisLfromGA, Nicholas Verne
Just another observation, it actually seems to use whatever is specified in chrome://flags#crostini-container-install , Which in most cases is Bullseye but could be Buster