CrOS Diagnostics reports: Can't contact gateway

DennisLfromGA

Sep 7, 2022, 10:14:11 AM9/7/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion
Several of us have run the new'ish ChromeOS Diagnostics app 'Connectivity' tests and have arrived at the same results, reporting: 'Can't contact gateway', see the image below -

Diag-NoGateway_blur.png

We've tried it using ChromeOS on Google (Pixelbook, Pixel Slate) and non-Google (Acer, ASUS, etc.) devices and even on a ChromeOS Flex device and are getting the same error.

Many of us are using a Google Nest mesh router and points so it seems to indicate that it could be a Mesh router issue but we're not at all sure. Signing-in with the Guest account instead of a Gmail account does not help.

It's been reported that the test doesn't run at all on an AUE Acer R11 Chromebook.

Some Chromebook help forum users have run into this also, see below:

I don't know how the tests are done and if there are other things we can look at like logs, etc. to figure out what's going on. When saving and looking at the 'session_log.txt' it shows the following:

    9/7/22, 9:27:05 AM - GatewayCanBePinged - Started
    9/7/22, 9:27:09 AM - GatewayCanBePinged - Failed
    9/7/22, 9:45:07 AM - GatewayCanBePinged - Started
    9/7/22, 9:45:11 AM - GatewayCanBePinged - Failed

Some can ping the gateway from a crosh session or a shell session and some cannot so we're getting mixed results with that and can't be sure if it's a bug with the Diagnostics app or not.

We've also tried Google name servers but there's been no difference.

If anyone knows more about this or has any ideas please chime in.

Thanx,
~DennyL

P.S. If this needs to be instead reported as a crbug or on the IssueTracker I can do that too.

david....@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2022, 11:57:45 AM9/7/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, DennisLfromGA
Just the rest of the world letting you know we don't want you.
Just kidding.
I assume the computers in question have been tested on other networks. And it isn't perfectly clear whether this is about the Diagnostic app not working, the computers not connecting to the internet or something related to Google Mesh?

david....@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2022, 12:05:41 PM9/7/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, david....@gmail.com, DennisLfromGA
What does the mesh connect with? Cable modem, DSL? Have you tried an Ethernet cable. I carry around a USB Ethernet adapter for those odd times when WiFi just doesn't work. Our Electrical meter was replaced yesterday which took everything offline. I was able to plug in the Ethernet and fix some of the things that had trouble coming back up.

Mike Frysinger

Sep 7, 2022, 12:09:11 PM9/7/22
to Dennis Lockhart, ChromiumOS Discussion
not all systems allow ICMP, so i don't find it surprising that some gateways can't be pinged even while simultaneously allowing packets to be routed via them.

if the diagnostics app/help info doesn't make this clear, sounds like the docs could be improved.
-mike

DennisLfromGA

Sep 7, 2022, 12:29:15 PM9/7/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, vap...@chromium.org, ChromiumOS Discussion, DennisLfromGA
David,

We are testing this on other networks and haven't received enough results yet to make a determination.
The app does seem to work flawlessly on hotspots tho.

As far as connectivity there are no issues with the LAN or internet.
We are using WiFi connections from the devices but I may try an ethernet connection to see if makes a difference, thanx for the suggesiton.

Mike,

Thanx very much for that info. about ICMP, that may indeed be the issue.

~DennyL

david....@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2022, 1:12:45 PM9/7/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, DennisLfromGA, vap...@chromium.org, ChromiumOS Discussion
I have 5 Ubiquiti routers and ICMP is off by default. It is also not a high priority protocol and it is likely the first to be dropped from a busy device.