Finding the Location of Logs with --log-function-events on Chrome OS

Tyler Gross

Aug 11, 2022, 4:53:03 PM8/11/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion
I'm trying to benchmark parsing times on Chrome OS. I've done all that's necessary to enter developer mode and all that to run Chrome with flags and I can verify the flags in chrome://version.

The issue is that I can't actually find where the function logs are stored. On MacOS, when you run Chrome with --no-sandbox --js-flags="--log-function-events" the logs are just placed in the same directory as the application binary itself, but I can't seem to find where that is in Chrome OS. I also had an issue where I had to run Chrome on MacOS with sudo to get logs or move it to a non-root directory, which I wonder if that's the same issue on ChromeOS.

Much appreciated if anyone can help out here!

david....@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2022, 4:58:53 PM8/11/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, tylerg...@gmail.com
Since you are in developer mode, you will need to enter the shell command at the crosh prompt. All the logs are in /var/log and the folders therein.

david....@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2022, 5:00:53 PM8/11/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, david....@gmail.com, tylerg...@gmail.com
And no need for sudo.
lots of normal Linux utilities are available including grep

Tyler Gross

Aug 16, 2022, 10:32:56 AM8/16/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, david....@gmail.com, tylerg...@gmail.com
I looked in the /var/log folder, but I wasn't able to find any logs that were isolate.log files. Is there something else that I'm missing that allows Chrome's renderer process to write to disk on Chrome OS?

DennisLfromGA

Aug 16, 2022, 10:39:41 AM8/16/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, tylerg...@gmail.com, david....@gmail.com
Even in normal verified boot mode (without dev mode) you can view the logs in a new tab at: file:///var/log/

Tyler Gross

Aug 16, 2022, 10:42:34 AM8/16/22
to DennisLfromGA, ChromiumOS Discussion, david....@gmail.com
I think the files must not be being written or something like that cause even using the file browser like you said in Chrome, I don't see any isolate log files.

david.stavert

Aug 16, 2022, 10:44:44 AM8/16/22
to Tyler Gross, DennisLfromGA, ChromiumOS Discussion
There are other .log files outside of /var/log You could try
sudo find / -name isolate.log

Tyler Gross

Aug 16, 2022, 10:48:01 AM8/16/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, david....@gmail.com, ChromiumOS Discussion, Tyler Gross, DennisLfromGA
I tried this once before, but it just seemed like it was taking forever and never yielded any results, but I'll try again.

david.stavert

Aug 16, 2022, 10:53:29 AM8/16/22
to Tyler Gross, ChromiumOS Discussion, DennisLfromGA
It can take a while. Let continue until you get the command prompt again
If it comes back without finding the log file name you are looking
for, try find / -name *.log >~/Downloads/logfiles.txt and then look
through the logfiles.txt files and see if any other interesting
logfile shows up

On Tuesday, Aug 16, 2022, 9:48 AM, wrote:

> I tried this once before, but it just seemed like it was taking forever and
> never yielded any results, but I'll try again.
>
> On Tuesday, August 16, 2022 at 10:44:44 AM UTC-4 david....@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > There are other .log files outside of /var/log You could try
> > sudo find / -name isolate.log

DennisLfromGA

Aug 16, 2022, 10:58:27 AM8/16/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, david....@gmail.com, DennisLfromGA, tylerg...@gmail.com
Tyler...

Are you sure there is such a file in ChromeOS?

I just ran this and came up empty: find / -type f -name '*isolate*.log' -ls 2>/dev/null

Tyler Gross

Aug 16, 2022, 11:11:49 AM8/16/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, DennisLfromGA, david....@gmail.com, Tyler Gross
There isn't such a file just by default. Once you enable the --log-function-events flag, then the renderer process will start dumping these function event logs that are named something like isolate-0x11800b90000-36041-v8.log on MacOS.

I've attached an example of one of these files below.
isolate-0x13800bc0000-36035-v8.log

DennisLfromGA

Aug 16, 2022, 11:32:40 AM8/16/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, tylerg...@gmail.com, DennisLfromGA, david....@gmail.com
Oh, sorry, Tyler... I totally overlooked that requirement.

Tyler Gross

Aug 16, 2022, 1:11:03 PM8/16/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, DennisLfromGA, Tyler Gross, david....@gmail.com
I just tried doing this on Linux as well to no avail. It seems like the sandbox is properly disabled as well if I go to chrome://sandbox, but I still don't see the isolate files being written anywhere.