How to trigger android volume key event(s) on a Chrome OS tablet?

Sam Chiu

Sep 20, 2021, 10:33:42 AM9/20/21
to Chromium OS Discussion
I am using some android apps which will listen to volume key events on a chrome os tablet (ASUS ChromePad CT100). However, it seems like that pressing the volume key on my chrome pad will not trigger the android volume key event. I want to ask that how could I trigger the android volume key events on my ChromePad?

Harry Cutts

Sep 20, 2021, 1:09:45 PM9/20/21
to Chromium OS Discussion, Sam Chiu
Since the volume keys are registered as accelerators by Ash (the window manager / system UI), those key events won't be forwarded to Android or Linux apps (see the key event handler in Exo, which is responsible for the forwarding). I don't know a lot about Android, but according to this StackOverflow question there are some other ways to get notified of volume changes.

Sam Chiu

Sep 21, 2021, 4:03:27 PM9/21/21
to Chromium OS Discussion, hcu...@chromium.org, Sam Chiu
Key remapping and forwarding between Chrome os and android should be the issues for Google to solve, while my target is to trigger android volume key event(s) on a Chrome OS and I won't want to modify the apps I use to listen to Chrome Os KeyEvents instead. I just want to trigger android volume key event(s) on a Chrome OS so that the apps which listen to those events can function, whether the volume keys on the Chrome OS devices are pressed or not.

I wonder that there are some android apps that can trigger the android volume key event(s) programmatically but I have tried different 'virtual volume button' android apps and they may just adjust the volume by AudioManager instead of triggering key events. Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions and know some android apps that can trigger android volume key event(s) on a Chrome OS?

Harry Cutts

Sep 22, 2021, 6:41:31 AM9/22/21
to Sam Chiu, Chromium OS Discussion
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood what you're trying to do. I thought you were trying to get notified when the hardware volume keys were pressed, when it seems you want to change the volume from your app. I don't know anything about that, sorry.

Harry Cutts
Chrome OS Touch/Input team