How are extensions supposed to be used in shortcuts, esp. on tablets?

Daniel Clark

May 14, 2021, 3:14:52 PM5/14/21
to Chromium OS Discussion
It is non-obvious how extensions invoked via clicking on them in the toolbar are supposed to be used in "new window" shortcuts, which hide the toolbar and disallow it to be turned back on.

The clearest example I've found it with the Google Youtube PiP extension. The only way I've found to invoke it is to enable the "Input methods" menu, then switch to extended keyboard via that menu, then go back to that menu and touch the emoji icon, then switch to normal keyboard mode, then enter ctrl-shift-p, then go switch back to the normal keyboard. Hopefully this isn't considered the acceptable and canonical way of doing this.

I think the cleanest way to fix this, assuming there isn't an easier method that already exists that I'm missing, would be to add an extensions submenu to the context menu.

A more jenky idea but that would also be super useful in other contexts would be to add a feature to the Input methods menu to allow optionally context-sensitive macros, and then let the user be able to create a macro that types for the example ctrl-shift-p and name it whatever s/he wants.

As a temporary super jenky workaround, anyone know if there is JavaScript you can stick in a bookmark that will invoke an extension or key sequence? There already exist extensions that put bookmarks in the context menu.