end of life for my device

mattias

Jun 2, 2022, 11:26:32 AM6/2/22
to chromium-...@chromium.org

It says it stops reciving updates now this month

But why not say wich date of this month?

Skickades från E-post för Windows

Mike Frysinger

Jun 2, 2022, 11:43:22 AM6/2/22
to mattias jonsson, chromium-...@chromium.org

DennisLfromGA

Jun 2, 2022, 4:57:18 PM6/2/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, Mike Frysinger, chromium-...@chromium.org, mjonss...@gmail.com
Mike,

We got this question in the Chromebook Help forum and we escalated it to our Community Manager who is trying to get some clarification from the chromeOS team, we haven't heard anything yet.

The wording of the reminder found in 'Settings -> About ChromeOS -> Additional details' is:

> "This device will get automatic software and security updates until June 2024."

That leads (this) one to believe that it is the 1st of the month.
And the AUE page states:

> "Every Chrome device receives regular updates from Google until it reaches its Auto Update Expiration (AUE) date"

So it is in agreement with the statement in Settings.
I would be surprised if it's the last of the month or any day in between but if so, maybe the wording could be changed a tad to say so.

Thanx,
~DennyL

mattias

Jun 3, 2022, 9:45:27 AM6/3/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, Mike Frysinger, chromium-...@chromium.org

That is exactly What i meen

Skickades från E-post för Windows

Mike Frysinger

Jun 3, 2022, 9:49:15 AM6/3/22
to DennisLfromGA, chromium-...@chromium.org, mjonss...@gmail.com
you're asking for something that doesn't exist.  there is no exact day as to when an update is provided.  it's fuzzy to provide flexibility: we might push an update after that date too, and users with the device but on an older release might get an update even though the device is EOL.

the only thing the date is saying is that we guarantee updates before that point.  after it, we most likely won't, but it's not like someone flips a switch and everything turns off.
-mike

DennisLfromGA

Jun 3, 2022, 10:05:09 AM6/3/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, Mike Frysinger, chromium-...@chromium.org, mjonss...@gmail.com, DennisLfromGA
Thanx Mike, that makes sense.

I've had devices that hit the AUE date but continued to receive updates months afterward so I'm glad there isn't a strict cut-off.

~DennyL