Policies on ChromiumOS

Patrick Wenz

Sep 27, 2011, 5:43:14 AM9/27/11
to Chromium OS discuss
Hi everyone,

yesterday I created a policy file on an Ubuntu 11.04 machine. Things
work with the policy placed in "/etc/chromium-browser/policies/
managed". As far as I've read "chromium-browser" is not the default
directory for polices but on Ubuntu it does what it is supposed to do,
set a default homepage, force an extension, blacklist others and more.

The problem is that when I try to use this simple policy on my
chromiumOS build running on my laptop it is not used. As there are no
seperate quick start instructions on policies for chromiumOS (http://
dev.chromium.org/administrators) I assume that the linux instructions
are the way to go. The business polcies instructions found here
(http://www.google.com/support/chromeos/a/bin/answer.py?
hl=en&answer=1289314&topic=1289313) only apply to official
chromebooks, don't they?

On chromiumOS there is a "policies" symlink in "/etc/chromium" and in
"/etc/opt/chrome" pointing at "/home/chronos/user/var/browser-polices"
and I even created this two symlinks on the stateful partitions "/
mnt/.../etc/..." directory.

I hope that the "Supported on" sections of the Policy List (http://
www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3) do not mean that this
works on chromeOS but not on chromiumOS... Right now nothing works :
( What did I miss? How can i use the policy on my chromiumOS build?

Regards, Patrick.

test_policy.json:
-----------------

{
"HomepageLocation": "www.chromium.org",
"DefaultJavaScriptSetting": 1,
"ExtensionInstallBlacklist": ["*"],
"ExtensionInstallWhitelist": ["engpfepdnbppcheddhbboabhnidhlndc",
"fllaojicojecljbmefodhfapmkghcbnh"],
"ExtensionInstallForcelist":
["engpfepdnbppcheddhbboabhnidhlndc;http://192.168.0.100/Extensions/
updates.xml"],
"IncognitoEnabled": false,
"DefaultNotificationSetting": 1,
"DefaultPluginsSetting": 2,
"PrintingEnabled": false,
}

Patrick Wenz

Sep 27, 2011, 9:05:12 AM9/27/11
to Chromium OS discuss
Update: Also added a "policies" symlink to "/etc/chromium-
browser" (_NOT_ the /etc/ on the stateful partition) pointing at the
chronos policies directory, just to be sure. Unfortunately this
doesn't work either.

Regards, Patrick.

Mattias Nissler

Sep 28, 2011, 7:19:39 AM9/28/11
to Chromium OS discuss
Hi Patrick,

please try this path (on the root fs): /etc/chromium/policies/managed/

It is safe to remove the symlinks that are present in the images.

Once you get the path setup right, most of the desktop policies should
also work Chromium OS.

Hope this helps!
Mattias