Disable Internet Connectivity Test

Lee Nelson

Oct 4, 2021, 1:26:14 AM10/4/21
to Chromium OS Discussion
I have a need to be connected and stay connected over WiFI to devices that act as AP's during configuration.  Examples include, but are not limited to: configuring new AP's, accessing walled gardens and configuring IoT devices.  However, when connected to such a device, I get pop-up warning me that my connection "may require you to visit its login page".  At the same time the Chromebook disconnects then reconnects to the AP.  This resets connections and makes the tasks I need  to perform impossible.  Is there some way to disable these Internet connectivity tests?

Note, this seems to be a recent development, but I couldn't say exactly when it started.  Several months ago, I did not have this problem.  I have tried both DHCP and Static IP configurations, and both present the same problem.

dragon788

Oct 4, 2021, 10:53:52 AM10/4/21
to lne...@nelnet.org, Chromium OS Discussion
I've noticed this more often recently as well, the only way I've been able to work around it is to disable "connect automatically" to all the networks I add so that it doesn't fallback to a "better" connection. Even that might not help if your device thinks it has ZERO connection and wants to get to a connection that has ANY connectivity.

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 12:26 AM Lee Nelson <lne...@nelnet.org> wrote:
I have a need to be connected and stay connected over WiFI to devices that act as AP's during configuration.  Examples include, but are not limited to: configuring new AP's, accessing walled gardens and configuring IoT devices.  However, when connected to such a device, I get pop-up warning me that my connection "may require you to visit its login page".  At the same time the Chromebook disconnects then reconnects to the AP.  This resets connections and makes the tasks I need  to perform impossible.  Is there some way to disable these Internet connectivity tests?

Note, this seems to be a recent development, but I couldn't say exactly when it started.  Several months ago, I did not have this problem.  I have tried both DHCP and Static IP configurations, and both present the same problem.

dragon788

Oct 4, 2021, 4:17:02 PM10/4/21
to Lee Nelson, Chromium OS Discussion
Oh I totally agree it should definitely be a configurable option.

I've had the same *fun* on Android as well, and it makes device configuration quite a pain. I think they added back an option to Android to disable the check at one point, not sure whether it is still there.

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021, 1:13 PM Lee Nelson <lne...@nelnet.org> wrote:

I have removed "connect automatically" from all other SSID's.

There are AP's to which I connect that will NEVER have Internet connectivity.  This isn't a matter of a poor connection or a bad AP, this is by design.  However, because there is no Internet connection, Chrome OS is assuming that it is on a "broken" connection and that it needs to be looking for a better one.  This sort of behavior is artificial.  It's something Chrome OS is doing intentionally, not a part of how IP or routing works.  I'm hoping that there is a setting somewhere to disable this functionality.

Lee Nelson

Oct 4, 2021, 5:24:34 PM10/4/21
to Chromium OS Discussion, drag...@gmail.com, Chromium OS Discussion, Lee Nelson