Chromium OS vs. Chrome OS

Daniel Mehrwald

Dec 8, 2021, 5:00:49 AM12/8/21
to Chromium OS Discussion
Hello Group

We want to use Chromium OS on our Single Board Computer Hardware, I have successfully build an Image and run it on our ARM device(s), I thought Chromium OS is the free version of Chrome OS so why I do need API-Keys for it to logon?
If there is no other way to run the OS as of with API-Keys, what are the monthly costs to buy some essential Google APIs commercially for a few (up to several?) hundred users? Is there a API key for more than one device and are we able store them securely on a TPM2 hardware? If we have API keys are we able to use Google App Store and are we turning the OS from Chromium to Chrome OS? What is the DeviceID for and how they are generated (doappid)?

As you can read above we are new to it but we would be very excited to run Chrome/Chromium OS on our devices.

Regards

Daniel

Mike Frysinger

Dec 8, 2021, 12:56:38 PM12/8/21
to d.meh...@gmail.com, Chromium OS Discussion

Daniel Mehrwald

Dec 8, 2021, 1:13:58 PM12/8/21
to Chromium OS Discussion, Mike Frysinger, Chromium OS Discussion, Daniel Mehrwald
Thanks for your answer, but I was not asking how to obtain keys for development, I was following this how-to already one month ago, my API-Keys are working, in the how-to it written that this is limited, so I can't release an image for end users with a link how to generate API-Keys, so my question was more how to buy such keys and what I can expect and further more what is the role of the DeviceID

Mike Frysinger

Dec 8, 2021, 1:57:24 PM12/8/21
to Daniel Mehrwald, Chromium OS Discussion
unfortunately, we don't offer advice for how to get or manage API keys.  the internal teams responsible for it (which i'm not part of) only provide those docs.

i agree that it's a terrible experience.  but it's out of my hands.
-mike