USB Boot Chromebook

georgekaridis

Mar 27, 2022, 9:15:46 AMMar 27
to Chromium OS Discussion
I want to boot from live usb in my chromebook, I have done all the steps here: Enable-USB-Booting-on-Chromebook and when I boot and press ctrl+u it says that:
​​
read-only firmware id: Google_Ampon.11297.220.0
active firmware id: Google_Ampton.11297.314.0
TMP state: v=1 failed tries=0 max_tries200
photo.jpg

The official documentation on how to do it is here: OFFICIAL DOCUMENTATION
Idk if I have to do anything with the crosh and shell or with a write protection screw, I will look into it.
If anyone knows or wants help with something reply to me. Thanks!

dragon788

Jun 15, 2022, 2:35:49 PMJun 15
to ChromiumOS Discussion, georgekaridis
I doubt you are trying to boot ChromeOS from USB, so you need to perform the tasks in the next step titled "alternative bootloader (legacy BIOS)" (or install the firmware from https://mrchromebox.tech if your system is compatible).

Then use Ctrl+L instead of Ctrl+U.

dragon788

Jun 15, 2022, 2:41:33 PMJun 15
to ChromiumOS Discussion, dragon788, georgekaridis
Unfortunately it appears the only option for your system is to replace the ChromeOS bootloader with a full UEFI ROM, which removes your ability to boot ChromeOS (but maybe ChromeOS Flex would work), but would allow you to install Linux or something else on your Ampton.

Tim Wawrzynczak

Jun 16, 2022, 10:44:21 AMJun 16
to drag...@gmail.com, ChromiumOS Discussion, georgekaridis
Depthcharge is only capable of booting ChromeOS as far as OSes go; it can, however, load alternate firmware/payloads, such as Tianocore,
which can be used to load other operating systems, e.g. a Linux distro or Windows. If you want to boot into other OSes, MrChromebox's
alternative firmware is your best bet.

dragon788

Jun 28, 2022, 1:25:00 PMJun 28
to Tim Wawrzynczak, ChromiumOS Discussion, georgekaridis
I also forgot to note that the correct keystroke for booting Linux from USB (or any non-ChromeOS operating system) is Ctrl+L not Ctrl+U. Ctrl+U is for ChromiumOS/ChromeOS developers to boot a USB built with their own custom image.