dev_install cannot curl packages

T Z

Apr 26, 2022, 2:03:13 PM4/26/22
to Chromium OS Discussion
I have been getting this error from both user chronos issued as sudo and as root.

chronos@localhost / $ sudo dev_install
Password:
Starting installation of developer packages.
First, we download the necessary files.
Downloading https://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromeos-dev-installer/board/daisy/canary-R75-12105.100.0/packages/app-admin/python-updater-0.11.tbz2
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 403 Forbidden
ERROR(dev_install): Could not download package.
ERROR(dev_install): Command curl --fail -o /usr/local/portage/packages/app-admin/python-updater-0.11.tbz2 https://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromeos-dev-installer/board/daisy/canary-R75-12105.100.0/packages/app-admin/python-updater-0.11.tbz2 failed.

I can't seem to find a way to fix this. Can someone help?

Mike Frysinger

Apr 26, 2022, 2:08:07 PM4/26/22
to zelikm...@gmail.com, Chromium OS Discussion, en...@chromium.org
[ +engeg ]

we no longer keep builds around forever.  we got too many devices and have been around for too long that we had to start expiring content.

in your case, you're using a device that went EOL 3 years ago, and all of its builds have been removed now.  you get a 403 error because of a GS implementation detail ... in reality, it's a 404.
$ gsutil ls gs://chromeos-dev-installer/board/daisy/
CommandException: One or more URLs matched no objects.

George: we changed chromeos-releases to retain the "last" build even for EOL devices.  any reason to not do that for chromeos-dev-installer too ?  it shouldn't add too much overhead.  not sure if it's possible to recover this content at this point for older devices, but would help newer ones from falling off completely.
-mike

T Z

Apr 26, 2022, 2:16:07 PM4/26/22
to Chromium OS Discussion, vap...@chromium.org, Chromium OS Discussion, en...@chromium.org, T Z
If I am picking up what you're putting down here.  I have no option to get the dev_install tools on this device by any other means?  If there is some mad-scientist way that I could achieve this task I would be most pleased.  Perhaps there exists an archived snapshot somewhere?

Mike Frysinger

Apr 26, 2022, 3:11:55 PM4/26/22
to T Z, Chromium OS Discussion, en...@chromium.org
it seems the files have been completely expired from chromeos-dev-installer.  we might be able to reconstruct something from another source, but we'd need to sort out the chromeos-dev-installer policy first otherwise it'll just get purged again.
-mike

T Z

Apr 26, 2022, 4:01:33 PM4/26/22
to Chromium OS Discussion, vap...@chromium.org, Chromium OS Discussion, en...@chromium.org, T Z
That sounds doable but I would like to take most of the burden of this task if it is a pain.  Where can I find the policy requirements to rebuild this?  I am hoping not to offload a hassle onto someone helping me!

Mike Frysinger

Apr 26, 2022, 4:24:23 PM4/26/22
to T Z, Chromium OS Discussion, en...@chromium.org
unfortunately, if you aren't a Google employee, you won't have access to update the infra

you can get an old R75 checkout locally and try to build for the daisy board to get the prebuilts and install them yourself.  it's a bit painful.
-mike

T Z

Apr 26, 2022, 4:35:05 PM4/26/22
to Chromium OS Discussion, vap...@chromium.org, Chromium OS Discussion, en...@chromium.org, T Z

No pain, no gain, right? I'd be glad to try if you would point me in the right direction!  I really appreciate you helping with this.  I have been meaning to put this book to use and have a recent burst of ambition to dive in.

T Z

Apr 26, 2022, 5:21:03 PM4/26/22
to Chromium OS Discussion, T Z, vap...@chromium.org, Chromium OS Discussion, en...@chromium.org

I am unsure if I am poking around in the right place, but this seems to have old branches?? Pardon my expected foolishness...