Cheets

Gabriel Brangers

Sep 14, 2016, 3:22:17 AM9/14/16
to Chromium OS discuss
What does the term cheets refer to in Chromium OS board development?

Mike Frysinger

Sep 14, 2016, 3:28:47 AM9/14/16
to Gabriel Brangers, Chromium OS discuss

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 3:22 AM, Gabriel Brangers <gbran...@gmail.com> wrote:
What does the term cheets refer to in Chromium OS board development?

DennisLfromGA

Sep 14, 2016, 11:20:13 AM9/14/16
to Chromium OS discuss, gbran...@gmail.com
I know I'm digging deep into something I clearly don't understand but I saw 'cheets' referenced here: '# Boards which inherit cheets and are ARC++ enabled.'
That seems to point to the following boards ( Chromebooks are guesses for the most part ;) -

    'cave' - (Asus Flip 2 ???)
    'cyan' - Acer Chromebook R11
    'lulu' - Dell Chromebook 13
    'reef' - (ApolloLake ????)
    'samus' - Chromebook Pixel (2015)
    'veyron_minnie' - ASUS Chromebook Flip C100

There are some more projects/boards both current and still in development mentioned here: '# Boards used for initial cheets bringup.'
That point to the following boards -

    'cyan-cheets',
    'elm-cheets',
    'glados-cheets',
    'glimmer-cheets',
    'oak-cheets',
    'samus-cheets',
    'smaug-cheets',
    'veyron_minnie-cheets',
    'celes-cheets'

This is very intriguing and exciting stuff - can't wait for the new Chromebooks!

Comments welcome,
-DennisL

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 3:28:47 AM UTC-4, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 3:22 AM, Gabriel Brangers <gbran...@gmail.com> wrote:
What does the term cheets refer to in Chromium OS board development?

Gabriel Brangers

Sep 14, 2016, 11:26:40 AM9/14/16
to Chromium OS discuss
Well, if I understand Mike correctly, cheets enabled boards means the ARC++ environment has been enabled. Hence meaning these boards will have the ability to run Android apps? Correct Mike or is there more to that?

Mattias Nissler

Sep 15, 2016, 4:03:49 AM9/15/16
to gbran...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
FWIW, here is a list of devices that are planned to receive support for Android apps: https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chrome-os-systems-supporting-android-apps

The -cheets suffix refers to board variants which have been used internally to bring up ARC++ without actually affecting the release images of these boards while ARC++ is not ready. My advise would be against drawing conclusions on Android app support from the presence of some cheets suffixed boards in our infrastructure code, the chromium.org page linked above is definitely a more reliable source.

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 5:26 PM, Gabriel Brangers <gbran...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, if I understand Mike correctly, cheets enabled boards means the ARC++ environment has been enabled. Hence meaning these boards will have the ability to run Android apps? Correct Mike or is there more to that?

Mattias Nissler | Software Engineer | mnis...@google.com

Google Germany GmbH

ABC-Str. 19

20345 Hamburg

Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle

DennisLfromGA

Sep 15, 2016, 10:46:33 AM9/15/16
to Chromium OS discuss
Thanx Mattias,

I just get excited when I see so much activity with all the new boards, etc.

I'll be glued to the interwebz on Oct. 4th hoping to hear about some great new Chromebooks.
I hope some will be in production by Christmas this year.

I've got the Dell CB 13 and am not so patiently waiting for ARC++ :)

Dennis

W.G.

Sep 25, 2016, 12:37:15 PM9/25/16
to Chromium OS discuss
Looks like you gotten some other 'Strago'  baseboards close to release. I have the ARC version showing in chrome://chrome and gotten the Play Store running after a command line tweak.

Side note, what's the difference between a base board and a board name?

Mike Frysinger

Sep 25, 2016, 8:11:41 PM9/25/16
to William Greene, Chromium OS discuss
a base board is a reference board that Google develops but never releases. partners use that as a base to create their own derivatives.
-mike

Swim Fan

Jun 12, 2022, 9:53:16 AM6/12/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, Mike Frysinger, Chromium OS discuss, W.G.
Just want to say a couple of things. Being this is about the only legit reference to Cheets i could find.

1. It's amazing how many references Google slips on by ignoring Groups... I found this group through Reddit. +1 to that CDN

2.Lulu Cheets, way more polished implementation of ARC++. Out of the box that Lulu was a special one ...VERSUS l...this HP Nami/Sona boards..

Slightly terrifying to learn of what Kerberos is.. still better than how i discovered what a angry KVM might do after rubbing that lantern by accident. We've all seen Aladin! Genies can be angry! Nobody wants that as a first encounter...

I think the board Developers inspired some of the names for Cheets from their favorite video games. Pokemon, League of Legends, Star Fox and even movies and tv shows, anime etc.

Almost like Chrome team had a bunch of teenagers engineer all of this.. In a absolutely epic sorta way. Kinda worrying if i think about it ....

Would be awesome if you actually got Cheats for your Cheets hardware but specific to the inspired name. E.g. Sona inherrits infinite Mana  in battles while their user plays from a compatible device with matching Identification 😂 i swear my laptop has oddly loud powers of music. Similar to what's mentioned by the character lore if searched on Google..

Magic is truly under estimated in Universe..oten filled with too many Tricks and not enough Treats. All the suddle references haven't gone unnoticed .. it's inspirational, seriously.

On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 5:11:41 PM UTC-7 Mike Frysinger wrote:
a base board is a reference board that Google develops but never releases. partners use that as a base to create their own derivatives.
-mike

On Sep 25, 2016 12:37, "W.G." <will...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looks like you gotten some other 'Strago'  baseboards close to release. I have the ARC version showing in chrome://chrome and gotten the Play Store running after a command line tweak.

Side note, what's the difference between a base board and a board name?

Swim Fan

Jun 13, 2022, 8:52:15 PM6/13/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, Swim Fan, Mike Frysinger, Chromium OS discuss, W.G.
I've read it somewhere, but can't seem to find where it was that explained it. Hidden in groups here some place no doubt.  This page might be helpful to someone though.

I'm probably least qualified to answer your question though but i do believe Mr. Frysinger has posted some place about it. If you read up on Kernel development or compile you're own, you may find more info about the board names