ChromiumOs Free Open Source Network WeBLE / BLE / PAN

Jean-Phylipe

Sep 3, 2022, 9:10:13 AM9/3/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion
I am completely new to chromium. I do apologize if this is the incorrect form to ask this question.

I have yet to learn to languages I need to build upon this OS or contribute to it, But I had a thought that occurred a while back and i have a feeling Chromium is the platform that will allow me to learn what I need in order to build this. I believe Chromium is one of the only browsers that has active support for WeBLE

We make Software, programs, browsers and some hardware that is open source. But the technology that we use to gain access to open source is not open source, its paid, and proprietary. ( Internet, Cell tower data, GPS, )

Would it be possible to create a network that uses BLE technologies which are present in nearly every home in our “modern” world To deploy an open source network that is free and provides easy access to basic information like ( how to filter water, how to build wind turbines, how to build shelters, sewage systems, learning tools, how to farm sustainably, communication methods that do not rely on the modern use of paid cellphone usage, )

My thought is this would be for people whom are not fortunate enough to live in our high rises or afford access to the internet to gain the information they would need in order to unlock their potential and advance together as a society.

They would be able to access this information through ChromiumOS or a browser based in Chromium. All they would need is an old piece of technology, like a phone that is no longer used, but  can be donated.

At the same time this could be used when our modern tech fails us or is compromised.( example, Rogers network failed in my country, it took out access to internet, phones, texts, and our Emergency services. People died because they were in able to place a simple call out to an ambulance)

If we can provide free open source access to information, what is stoping us from elevating our minds collectively. The internet is a wealth of knowledge, but in a way it is still privileged and not always accessible to everyone.

Could someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction as to what languages, and tools I would need to learn in order to attempt this passion project.  I have a very basic understanding of HTML5, CSS, Kotlin, XML,Alpine Linux, Electron, Go,bootstrap,swift

I have the idea, I have the passion for it,  I need the right rabbit hole to follow. Or even if I can inspire someone here one day, wether it be now or 20 years in the future when someone stumbles on this post. The idea is out there

I welcome all types of discussion on this topic, i want to learn so i need to understand all sides of this.

david....@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2022, 10:05:14 AM9/3/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, glitchoft...@gmail.com
I know I have read about several other similar initiatives but it has been a while. I think some have been based on WiFi and passing information from one device to another until it got to the recipient much like the early packet switched networks. I unfortunately can't remember how some of them have been described so I have been unable to find any references but will keep looking. While BT might be ubiquitous, WiFi is more so and has far greater capacity and range. I will keep looking and perhaps others will know what I am referring to.

david....@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2022, 11:35:54 AM9/3/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, david....@gmail.com, glitchoft...@gmail.com
https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/14/a-mesh-network-spontaneously-erupts-in-the-us-and-helps-connect-puerto-rico/

There are other systems mentioned in the article. I used "disaster mesh" as search terms. That can get you to other search terms.
The idea is a good one, and your enthusiasm can add to one of the ongoing, established projects

Swim Fan

Sep 3, 2022, 9:51:11 PM9/3/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, david....@gmail.com
The term I've seen thrown around in relation to "disaster mesh", might be an "ad hoc" network. One that is often made quickly, often for a specific purpose, and without much thought toward the future...(people without prior knowledge or formal training might fit here)

it's a great idea David. One i think that has been working on longer than most may realize. "Better Together" is a phrase i've seen also - in relation to devices with the same owner within a P2P network. Also, check out what NYC did here. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NYC_Mesh
 it's not BLE, but my thought is that historically Bluetooth and Wifi have physically lived next to each other on circuit board, so... maybe they aren't too different after-all? :)

i can't recall the name of the project or whom exactly was working on it  but if it comes to me I'll let you know.. it's something first referenced in another country other than North America.

ps- try expanding your searches other than Google... where i'm located, good/relevant content doesn't always come through search query. So i use wikipedia and other wikimedia as well as references at the InternetArchives And/or my local library using their "digital" sevices. This way i info can be searched through other mediums.

Nom De Plume

Sep 4, 2022, 11:23:26 AM9/4/22
to Swim Fan, ChromiumOS Discussion
I do use other searches and I mostly use Google search to find other similar terms to search for. I can very quickly search for a broad term to find more focused terms to search for and use those terms to search for more focused etc. I do not limit myself to Google but it helps to uncover things I am really looking for in the least amount of time.

I would encourage you to not start out with a solution in search of a problem. Your desire to provide free and open sourced access to information doesn't take into account that at least 90% of the global population have cell phones and close to 80% have smartphones. Even those without can usually find someone to share occasionally. I think even the poorest populations in the poorest countries consider communication a high priority.
For a BLE ad hoc network, you would need to have some repository for the relevant information. A sufficiently high concentration of users to make this mesh actually work.  Who would host this free and open sourced information. Who would pay for the hosting, maintenance of the equipment, and ongoing upkeep of the information. What information are you going to provide? Who would decide what information would be provided. In what format? What languages are you going to support?  How would you make people aware of the information and how would you train the people to use the services? And since this would be a somewhat closed system, those using the system would only get access to information that someone wanted them to see.
I think you really need to understand who and how people would use whatever you are thinking of building. It is possible to create almost anything you could dream up, but it will ultimately need to be something that fulfills a need. I think you need to investigate the population you think needs this service to see whether it is something they can actually use and that they would find it useful. The internet already provides an incredible trove, the good and the bad. and I will speculate that globally, everyone has at least part time access already.

Nom De Plume

Oct 13, 2022, 12:40:26 PM10/13/22
to Swim Fan, Jean-Phylipe, ChromiumOS Discussion
I thought this might be an interesting inclusion. This would answer some of the needs for shared local information, resilience, and something already developed.