Shell command for unzip?

JM0225

Aug 27, 2015, 4:07:54 PM8/27/15
to Chromium OS discuss
Unzip is not working in the File Manager for my DEV R46 Platform v7323 install.  Zip does work in File Manager, but not unzip.

Is there a crosh shell command I can use to unzip files in the .zip format?

I searched my machine and online but could not find anything about this. There is no unzip binary on this install.  I know about gzip and bzip2 and the other compression utils, but I need to unzip files in the zip format which these others don't handle.

I know I can do this online e.g., in GDrive or the Zip Extractor app, but I have certain files that I want to keep on the local drive and do not want to put online, even temporarily.

Thanks for any tips.

JM

Ian Bloss

Aug 27, 2015, 4:09:22 PM8/27/15
to jrd...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss

If it does it would be, "unzip [filepath]"

Ian Bloss

Aug 27, 2015, 4:17:30 PM8/27/15
to jrd...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
If you built your own chromium OS image you can follow these steps to pull a single package from your build server https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/how-tos-and-troubleshooting/using-the-dev-server#TOC-How-to-build-a-single-package-and-i

Prathmesh Prabhu Chromium

Aug 27, 2015, 5:34:22 PM8/27/15
to ibl...@taylorprephs.com, jrd...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
I think OP is using a pristine Chromebook. If you haven't crashed, burned, warped, or modified the ChromeOS --> ChromiumOS image on your chromebook, you want to head on to the product forum (https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/chromebook-central), where you'll get much better help.

If what I said above makes no sense to you, you still want to head out to the product forum ;)

dragon788

Jul 11, 2022, 6:54:39 AM7/11/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, Prathmesh Prabhu, Chromium OS discuss, ibl...@taylorprephs.com, JM0225

I know this is ancient history, but since somebody figured out a way to do this that works in a Developer mode shell I figured I'd share. https://gist.github.com/espoelstra/d89d305e015ccc6996d810407233e506

DennisLfromGA

Jul 11, 2022, 11:30:34 AM7/11/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, drag...@gmail.com, Prathmesh Prabhu, Chromium OS discuss, ibl...@taylorprephs.com, JM0225
Here's another alternative and the one I prefer: Install a busybox binary and link it to 'unzip'.
Screenshot 2022-07-11 11.27.46 AM.png

dragon788

Jul 13, 2022, 6:29:09 PM7/13/22
to DennisLfromGA, ChromiumOS Discussion, Prathmesh Prabhu, ibl...@taylorprephs.com, JM0225
That's a fantastic workaround Dennis. Do you use one from Chromebrew or does BusyBox have them built and published for direct download/

DennisLfromGA

Jul 14, 2022, 1:59:23 PM7/14/22
to ChromiumOS Discussion, drag...@gmail.com, ChromiumOS Discussion, ppr...@chromium.org, ibl...@taylorprephs.com, JM0225, DennisLfromGA
I use one of the binaries available on the busybox site:

> Index of /downloads/binaries
https://busybox.net/downloads/binaries/

dragon788

Jul 15, 2022, 9:12:08 PM7/15/22
to DennisLfromGA, ChromiumOS Discussion, ppr...@chromium.org, ibl...@taylorprephs.com, JM0225
Sadly the BusyBox binaries appear to have lost the dynamic /latest/ folder (mentioned in their FAQs) so there isn't a quick curl command that can be used to grab the newest to /usr/local/bin/.

I found somebody has statically compiled 7zip for Linux so that might work as an alternative.