What can I do in the chromium os crosh shell?

John Coonrod

Dec 2, 2021, 12:39:19 PM12/2/21
to Chromium OS Discussion
The crosh shell command seems much different than on chromeos - I seem to have a real functioning gentoo environment... almost. I've not been able to find any instructions  for it- can someone point me to something? For example, I downloaded and un-tarred VS Code but when I tried to run it, it says unable to execute ./code: Permission denied.

dragon788

Dec 2, 2021, 6:38:54 PM12/2/21
to jcoon...@gmail.com, Chromium OS Discussion
It is a very restricted environment not well suited for running day to day apps, you'll want to look up Crouton as a way to run apps with all the correct libraries and graphical niceties if you aren't using the Crostini Linux apps environment.

There are projects like Chromebrew that try to make it more usable but again that's for software development not running GUI applications.

On Thu, Dec 2, 2021, 11:39 AM John Coonrod <jcoon...@gmail.com> wrote:
The crosh shell command seems much different than on chromeos - I seem to have a real functioning gentoo environment... almost. I've not been able to find any instructions  for it- can someone point me to something? For example, I downloaded and un-tarred VS Code but when I tried to run it, it says unable to execute ./code: Permission denied.

Mike Frysinger

Dec 2, 2021, 9:33:38 PM12/2/21
to Chromium OS Discussion
dragon788's advice is good advice