Boot Linux from USB on a ChromeOS machine

cyberquarks

Apr 15, 2021, 2:38:04 PM4/15/21
to Chromium OS Discussion
I have a USB with Linux on it [specifically: https://www.ncomputing.com/products/vSpace/LEAF%20OS] that I need to boot on a Intel-based Chromebook laptop. The USB is bootable as it boots from the USB of my desktop PC.

I managed to set up developer mode from my Chromebook from this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWXO61_v_xo&t=7s to hopefully boot the USB from my Chromebook.

All went well except that I cannot boot from USB when on the "OS Verification" screen, the only command that works is CTRL + D which boots Chrome OS but CTRL + L does not do anything other than to hang/freeze the screen.

My question is, what is the latest way to boot a Linux USB from the USB port on a Chromebook? Note that I don't refer to dual-booting just booting from USB.

Also, from what I see the RW_LEGACY is loaded in my Chromebook:

```
 ChromeOS Device Firmware Utility Script [2020-12-22]
 (c) Mr Chromebox <mrchr...@gmail.com>
**   Device: HP Chromebook x360 11 G1 EE (SNAPPY)
** Platform: Intel ApolloLake
**  Fw Type: Stock ChromeOS w/RW_LEGACY
**   Fw Ver: Google_Snappy.9042.253.0 (06/30/2020)
**    Fw WP: Enabled
**      1) Install/Update RW_LEGACY Firmware
**      2) Install/Update UEFI (Full ROM) Firmware
** [WP] 3) Set Boot Options (GBB flags)
** [WP] 4) Set Hardware ID (HWID)
Select a menu option or
R to reboot  P to poweroff  Q to quit
```

dragon788

Apr 15, 2021, 3:32:32 PM4/15/21
to qqua...@protonmail.com, Chromium OS Discussion
I believe RW_LEGACY installs SeaBIOS which is an MBR only bootloader and in order to boot newer distributions that are EFI style you will need to potentially chain load an EFI aware boot loader.

cyberquarks

Apr 15, 2021, 3:41:38 PM4/15/21
to Chromium OS Discussion, drag...@gmail.com, Chromium OS Discussion, cyberquarks
Hi, thanks for the tip, so that that mean that I need to run the Mr Chromebox script e.g. the Option 1 to Install/Update RW_LEGACY Firmware? Or something else?

dragon788

Jun 22, 2021, 11:21:07 PM6/22/21
to Chromium OS Discussion, qqua...@protonmail.com, dragon788, Chromium OS Discussion
Yes, you'll probably want the updated/fixed RW_LEGACY from MrChromebox and you'll want to set the `crossystem` options for legacy and USB booting.

Denny Lockhart

Jun 23, 2021, 7:13:15 AM6/23/21
to dragon788, Chromium OS Discussion, qqua...@protonmail.com
Just to add, legacy booting is now referred to as 'altfw' and the crossystem command has changed.
Here are my settings for USB, legacy/altfw, and signed-only flags:

sudo crossystem |grep dev_boot
dev_boot_altfw          = 1                              # [RW/int] Enable developer mode alternate bootloader
dev_boot_signed_only    = 0                              # [RW/int] Enable developer mode boot only from official kernels
dev_boot_usb            = 1                              # [RW/int] Enable developer mode boot from external disk (USB/SD)