Issue with using chronos user

Rainbow Asteroids

May 20, 2018, 12:24:49 AM5/20/18
to Chromium OS Discussion
For some reason, whenever I try to give the password of the chronos user, it gives me an incorrect password error. Whenever I login using the VT, I get some sort of authentication failure. If anyone knows where I can find logs to elaborate?

Mike Frysinger

May 20, 2018, 2:07:56 AM5/20/18
to rainbowa...@protonmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
all logs are under /var/log/ (and probably in messages)
-mike

On Sun, May 20, 2018, 12:24 'Rainbow Asteroids' via Chromium OS Discussion <chromium-...@chromium.org> wrote:
For some reason, whenever I try to give the password of the chronos user, it gives me an incorrect password error. Whenever I login using the VT, I get some sort of authentication failure. If anyone knows where I can find logs to elaborate?

Rainbow Asteroids

May 20, 2018, 10:32:44 AM5/20/18
to Chromium OS Discussion, rainbowa...@protonmail.com
Thanks. The error is something along the lines of "Authentication service cannot retrieve autentication info"

I checked in etc/shadow and it only has the password for root, no other text than something like

"clear
exit
chromeos-setdevpasswd
exit"

Mike Frysinger

May 20, 2018, 8:55:40 PM5/20/18
to rainbowa...@protonmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
/etc/shadow isn't used in dev mode for chronos pw.  it's stored in /mnt/stateful_partition/etc/devmode.passwd instead.
-mike

Rainbow Asteroids

May 20, 2018, 9:11:06 PM5/20/18
to Chromium OS Discussion, rainbowa...@protonmail.com
The passwd is in /mnt/stateful_partition/etc/devmode.passwd and the hash changes like it should, I just don't understand why it's throwing an authentication error like it does.

Maybe this helps, but the error only throws when you get the password right.

Mike Frysinger

May 21, 2018, 4:37:58 AM5/21/18
to rainbowa...@protonmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
i checked current builds and login as chronos after setting a password seems to work for me.

what if you specify a simple password like 'a' ?

what device are you using ?  is it a Chromebook, or are you building Chromium OS yourself ?  login as chronos only works when cros_debug is enabled, so make sure you have that set in your kernel command line.

just to be clear, it only works for local logins (via frecon terminals which you get via ctrl-alt-f2) and for sudo.  it doesn't work for ssh or other remote accesses.
-mike

Rainbow Asteroids

May 21, 2018, 4:29:20 PM5/21/18
to Chromium OS Discussion, rainbowa...@protonmail.com
  • I'm using the latest stable build for Samsung Chromebook 3
  • crossystem cros_debug returns '1', so it's enabled
  • 'login' command returns the error, sudo just tells me my password is incorrect.

Rainbow Asteroids

May 21, 2018, 8:03:23 PM5/21/18
to Chromium OS Discussion, rainbowa...@protonmail.com
Just updated my chromebook a few minutes ago and it started working, but to be fair, when I opened this post it didn't work and my chromebook was up to date.

Mike Frysinger

May 23, 2018, 3:27:55 AM5/23/18
to Rainbow Asteroids, Chromium OS discuss
glad it's started working for you, but i honestly don't know why it would have changed.  the code paths involved haven't ...
-mike