I have my Chromebook device in Developer Mode...

TheSmokingGun Gaming

Sep 6, 2017, 6:34:17 PM9/6/17
to Chromium OS discuss

I have it in dev mode yet when i go into the CROSH and do shell then sudo it asks for password. I tried every password i could think of and i even tried no password but it always says Sorry,Try Again. Please help as i would like to put another bootable OS on it but it is impossible with the sudo command not working. I even tried in Guest mode and still no luck. Also this is the type of chromebook i have.

2017 Acer C710 11.6" HD Premium Flagship Chromebook Laptop PC, Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.5 GHz, 2 GB DDR3 Memory, 16 GB Solid State Drive, 2 in 1 Card Reader, HDMI, Chrome OS (Certified Refurbished)

Mike Frysinger

Sep 6, 2017, 6:36:27 PM9/6/17
to iame...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
try "test0000".  if that isn't the password, then i'm afraid you (or someone using your Chromebook) set a password so you'll have to track that down.  otherwise you can powerwash the system to clear the password (and all the other local state you might have).
-mike

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

TheSmokingGun Gaming

Sep 6, 2017, 6:45:40 PM9/6/17
to Chromium OS discuss
I have tried that before and reset before around 5 times and I have it in dev mode because it says when I boot chrome os verification is off and I am the only one that uses this chromebook and I know I have not set a password. Is there a way I can find out what the password is by snooping around the system?

Mike Frysinger

Sep 6, 2017, 7:15:02 PM9/6/17
to Chromium OS discuss
access to the file is restricted by design ... if anyone could read it, then having the password would be kind of pointless

if powerwashing didn't do it, then enable verified mode (press space at boot), wait for it to transition, then put it back into dev mode.  that should wipe the entire stateful partition.
-mike

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 6:45 PM, TheSmokingGun Gaming <iame...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have tried that before and reset before around 5 times and I have it in dev mode because it says when I boot chrome os verification is off and I am the only one that uses this chromebook and I know I have not set a password. Is there a way I can find out what the password is by snooping around the system?

TheSmokingGun Gaming

Sep 6, 2017, 10:36:47 PM9/6/17
to Chromium OS discuss
Just did that at first it said chromeos is either missing or damaged then finally after a few reboots it let me in and let me sign back in. And it looked completley wiped nothing is on it but this still came up.

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 7:15:02 PM UTC-4, Mike Frysinger wrote:
access to the file is restricted by design ... if anyone could read it, then having the password would be kind of pointless

if powerwashing didn't do it, then enable verified mode (press space at boot), wait for it to transition, then put it back into dev mode.  that should wipe the entire stateful partition.
-mike
On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 6:45 PM, TheSmokingGun Gaming <iame...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have tried that before and reset before around 5 times and I have it in dev mode because it says when I boot chrome os verification is off and I am the only one that uses this chromebook and I know I have not set a password. Is there a way I can find out what the password is by snooping around the system?

Screenshot 2017-09-06 at 10.33.16 PM.png

Mike Frysinger

Sep 6, 2017, 11:07:39 PM9/6/17
to Chromium OS discuss
please follow the directions here:
-mike

Trebor

Sep 7, 2017, 10:05:51 AM9/7/17
to Chromium OS discuss
Hello,

I have also been in this situation, after moving from Verified to Dev mode, or powerwashing, restoring from USB, etc. The apparent default, test0000, never works for me either, at least not recently. What always works for me is the following:

1. On the Developer mode setup screen, when it asks if you want to set up debugging features, enter a password.
2. Once CrOS has booted up, go into VT2 by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2
3. Type root and press enter
4. Type the password from step 1
5. Type the command chromeos-setdevpasswd
6. Now type another password. This will be the sudo password for chronos. Press enter. Type it again to confirm. Press enter. (Alternatively, just press enter twice to set a blank sudo password for chronos. More convenient IMO, as one will then just have to hit enter at the chronos sudo prompt, rather than typing anything, but less secure, perhaps)...
7. Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to leave the VT
8. Try your new sudo password in shell
9. ???????
10. Profit!!!

DennisLfromGA

Sep 7, 2017, 12:42:18 PM9/7/17
to Chromium OS discuss
Yup, @Trebor's method is the one that works for many in this situation.
Stay away from 'Debugging Features' if you don't need them or setup a known root password.

~Dennis

TheSmokingGun Gaming

Sep 7, 2017, 1:41:15 PM9/7/17
to Chromium OS discuss
so when do i enable debugging features

TheSmokingGun Gaming

Sep 7, 2017, 1:45:42 PM9/7/17
to Chromium OS discuss
Can i set it up after i have started the chromebook and have me signed in or do i have to wipe it again?

Hara Acharya

Sep 7, 2017, 1:57:08 PM9/7/17
to iame...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
As far as you are able to access croshshell, your debug feature is enabled.
Debug feature means the below things:
rootfs verification removed.
You are able to ssh the systemBoot from usb is enabled. Which for sure is as you can enable using crossystem flag.

All these features comes with dev mode(chroshshell access). So as far as you have croshshell access, no need to re-enable debug mode.

DennisLfromGA

Sep 7, 2017, 2:00:16 PM9/7/17
to Chromium OS discuss
@The...

so when do i enable debugging features

At the sign-in page after a powerwash or full recovery

Can i set it up after i have started the chromebook and have me signed in or do i have to wipe it again?

I believe for all of the features to be enabled at once you'll have to wipe it again.
Some of the features can be easily added afterwards, all of them if you know what you're doing.

I would suggest that before you venture into Debugging Features again you visit this page and see if it's really warranted -

The Chromium Projects - 'Debugging Features'

~Dennis

TheSmokingGun Gaming

Hara Acharya

Sep 7, 2017, 2:21:12 PM9/7/17
to iame...@gmail.com, Chromium OS discuss
as you have access to shell, run the below command.
#chromeos-setdevpassword will set the password for you.
The username will be: "chronos"

Once you reboot, you can login to chronos and do
#sudo -s
Type the new password you set for chronos once prompted.
You will have root access then.