Chrome OS Portforwarding not working with remote chrome devtools (Puppeteer)

Marcel Oostebring

Jun 17, 2021, 9:52:40 AM6/17/21
to Chromium OS Discussion
Hello,

I'm trying to access a chrome web application that's running with a debugging port for remote access. The reason for this is, I use puppeteer to connect and take some actions, followed by some screenshots to test the rendering of everything.

What I've tried so far is accepting any package in iptables and forwarded the ports in the advanced settings.(As shown in your official guide here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozLuC0eAMbc)

I have tried to install Socat with crew but that didn't work either.

I changed the chrome.conf file to start with a remote debugging port to 2253 and remote debugging address to 0.0.0.0 (had to do this on other devices as well, else chrome doesn't accept remote connections for some reason.)

If I open the chromebook, and go to 127.0.0.1:2253 it does actually show the inspectable pages. so the debugging port works. In netstat the ports are open, free to connect to. However, any attempt from any other device (in the same network) has connection refused. Checking if the ports are open remotely also show that they are closed.

So my question is, how can I get the port forwarding to actually work? Right now it just simply doesn't.

dragon788

Jun 22, 2021, 11:26:59 PM6/22/21
to Chromium OS Discussion, moost...@gmail.com
If it is a Chrome App, those are going away soon, but they are also probably isolated from the system a bit, you'd maybe have to use the port forwarding app/extension to share across the network. If you can run it in Crostini you could also forward ports from there. chrome://os-settings/crostini/details#:~:text=Port-,forwarding,-Disk%20size

Mark Caudill

Jul 1, 2021, 5:27:02 PM7/1/21
to Chromium OS Discussion, drag...@gmail.com, moost...@gmail.com
I'm in the same boat of "this feature isn't working" on a Pixelbook Go (ChromeOS 91.0.4472.147). The networking to expose the port automatically on the local interface works, but port forwarding to make the port accessible on any external interfaces does not work. I've tried this with tcp4/tcp6 listeners and it doesn't seem to change the result.