Chromium OS sudden;y won't log in! Says 'Something went wrong'

William Greening

Jan 29, 2021, 12:00:49 PM1/29/21
to Chromium OS Discussion
Working fine yesterday! but all of a sudden today I get 'Something went wrong' when I try to login to any of my devices! I have about 10.

Tried two different accounts from separate domains.

Any ideas? Could it be that new Chrome OS update that happened yesterday? - - https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/

Privacy and Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this e-mail is intended for the named recipient(s) only. It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not an intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, we would be grateful if you would notify us immediately. Thank you for your assistance.

Please note that e-mails sent or received by our staff may be disclosed under the Freedom of Information Act (unless exempt).

Kingsway Community Trust. Registered office: Briarfield Road, Withington, Manchester, M20 4SR. Company number  08339302, registered in England and Wales.

Kevin Chowski

Jan 29, 2021, 1:04:29 PM1/29/21
to w.gre...@kingswaycommunitytrust.co.uk, Chromium OS Discussion
What type of devices do you have?

Can you enter Guest mode and visit chrome://version to figure out which version you are running?

William Greening

Jan 29, 2021, 1:55:12 PM1/29/21
to Chromium OS Discussion, Kevin Chowski, Chromium OS Discussion, William Greening
It's an old acer laptop

Version is 90.0.4395.3

SCS Admin

Jan 29, 2021, 3:34:51 PM1/29/21
to Chromium OS Discussion, w.gre...@kingswaycommunitytrust.co.uk, Kevin Chowski, Chromium OS Discussion
I am having the exact same issue on multiple devices all running 84.0.4131.0.

If I try to login as a user who has already logged into the device it fails. If I try to login as a new user it fails with "Something went wrong".

If I  power wash the device it fails to login with the generic "something went wrong".

Also devices that are enterprise enrolled have the same issue.

I have tried multiple domains including a generic gmail.com and they all fail with the something went wrong.

I can login as Guest but that's about it.

Is there any logs associated with the login process that I could look at for more details?

Thanks,

Jon

dragon788

Jan 29, 2021, 7:25:40 PM1/29/21
to Chromium OS Discussion
There was a recent change in policy that the Sync API wasn't going to be available to Chromium due to abuse by some 3rd parties, I wonder if that went into effect and is causing these issues.

SCS Admin

Feb 2, 2021, 10:08:51 AM2/2/21
to Chromium OS Discussion, drag...@gmail.com, Chromium OS Discussion
So would this mean we need to generate api keys like in https://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/api-keys in order to renable logging in?

Tony Ditchfield

Feb 3, 2021, 2:32:10 PM2/3/21
to Chromium OS Discussion, SCS Admin, drag...@gmail.com, Chromium OS Discussion, Jochen Eisinger
This was not supposed to break until March 15, 2021, to allow us time to fix or workaround as per guidance.

Hi Jochen - have your team brought the day forward for dropping API calls?

Jochen Eisinger

Feb 3, 2021, 3:24:58 PM2/3/21
to Tony Ditchfield, Chromium OS Discussion, SCS Admin, drag...@gmail.com
Hey,

no, we haven't changed anything yet on our side.

Are you experiencing issues on Chrome OS or a build of Chromium OS?  In the latter case, I assume you're using "normal" keys (i.e., not the ones from Linux/BSD distros of chromium)? In that case, they always had a low quota, and it might be that you're just running into that quota.

best
-jochen

Adam Pigg

Feb 10, 2021, 8:23:41 PM2/10/21
to Chromium OS Discussion, Jochen Eisinger, Chromium OS Discussion, SCS Admin, drag...@gmail.com, tony.di...@gmail.com
This has affected my daughers chromebook too, and she was unable to log in to do some school work so we had to get a windows tablet out!!  (its an old  now unsupported acer C7, so runs chromiumos to stay up to date) .. after going through the hoops of getting me to authorize the login, she was presented with the generic "something went wrong".

I imagine in these days of home schooling and repurposing old laptops for those who dont have them, chromiumos would be a good option for many,   could google not take this into account on the API limits?

Adam

Bob Olbrich

Feb 10, 2021, 9:27:54 PM2/10/21
to Chromium OS Discussion, pig...@gmail.com, Jochen Eisinger, Chromium OS Discussion, SCS Admin, drag...@gmail.com, tony.di...@gmail.com
It looks like the procedure linked by SCS Admin has changed - there is no longer an "other" application type within the credentials process.

Jozef Slivka

Mar 2, 2021, 4:29:27 PM3/2/21
to Chromium OS Discussion, rjolbric...@gmail.com, pig...@gmail.com, Jochen Eisinger, Chromium OS Discussion, SCS Admin, drag...@gmail.com, tony.di...@gmail.com
so is there actually any proper solution? my 4 laptops with chromium OS stopped working (same issue as all of you-not possible to login since about 10.Feb. 2021)

Dátum: streda 10. februára 2021, čas: 18:27:54 UTC-8, odosielateľ: rjolbric...@gmail.com

LEDeco solution, s.r.o., Sladkovicova 37/A, Banska Bystrica, 974 05, Slovakia

Navstivte nasu online Galeriu / Visit our online gallery: CLICK-HERE

Zvazte prosim, ci je s ohladom na zivotne prostredie nevyhnutne tlacit tento e-mail.

Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail.

Lucas Wang

Mar 8, 2021, 6:23:17 PM3/8/21
to Chromium OS Discussion, rjolbric...@gmail.com, pig...@gmail.com, Jochen Eisinger, Chromium OS Discussion, SCS Admin, drag...@gmail.com, tony.di...@gmail.com
This is correct, the "other" application type is no longer present in OAuth credentials. I decided to check on this by deleting my old credential and creating one fresh with the new "Desktop App" option, replaced that in ~/.googleapikeys, rebuilt the packages and image, and installed that fresh. Unfortunately this does not seem to change anything as I'm still getting the "Something went wrong" message.

I found this bug report where someone claimed to have found a solution by writing the keys to the Chromium OS device's /etc/chrome_dev.conf file (which is detailed under "provide keys at runtime" in the API keys instructions). However, I am currently unable to verify this as I can't seem to make the root a writable file system (despite the fact that I am using a test image built with the --noenable_rootfs_verification flag which should have it as writable without any further modifications).

Did anyone else manage to figure this out?

dragon788

Mar 9, 2021, 10:04:38 AM3/9/21
to Lucas Wang, Chromium OS Discussion, rjolbric...@gmail.com, pig...@gmail.com, Jochen Eisinger, SCS Admin, tony.di...@gmail.com
You might still need enable read/write to the rootfs and to remount the rootfs as RW because for security purposes, just because you aren't verifying the contents, doesn't mean you get automatic RW.

I've found that there is a flag to automatically mount the rootfs RW so you don't have to remount, but I don't recall where I found it.

Jozef Slivka

Mar 10, 2021, 12:56:08 PM3/10/21
to Chromium OS Discussion, drag...@gmail.com, Chromium OS Discussion, rjolbric...@gmail.com, pig...@gmail.com, Jochen Eisinger, SCS Admin, tony.di...@gmail.com, lucas...@gmail.com
Funny thing is ( I believe why people use Chromium OS or Google products are ) : Most people are fed up with all the technical stuff user is faced with while using Microsoft products.....and now I read something about API keys, rootfs RW , writing the keys to some config in OS, which I am not able to log in etc etc....I and certainly not my mother either ,DONT WANT to become IT admin before I open laptop and simply want to browse internet..... I am glad that All you know what to do but I just wanted to give my mother a way how to safely and easily browse internet.....
...any solution for people, which are not IT admins?

Dátum: utorok 9. marca 2021, čas: 16:04:38 UTC+1, odosielateľ: drag...@gmail.com

Jozef Slivka

Apr 6, 2021, 2:50:52 PM4/6/21
to Chromium OS Discussion, drag...@gmail.com, Chromium OS Discussion, rjolbric...@gmail.com, pig...@gmail.com, Jochen Eisinger, SCS Admin, tony.di...@gmail.com, lucas...@gmail.com
Does anybody have any solution "how to bring my Chromium laptops back to life?"...
Thanks for easy explanation.

Dátum: streda 10. marca 2021, čas: 19:56:08 UTC+2, odosielateľ: Jozef Slivka

Hakatit

Aug 15, 2021, 2:06:32 PM8/15/21
to Chromium OS Discussion, Jozef Slivka, drag...@gmail.com, Chromium OS Discussion, rjolbric...@gmail.com, pig...@gmail.com, Jochen Eisinger, SCS Admin, tony.di...@gmail.com, lucas...@gmail.com
https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chromiumos-design-docs/protecting-cached-user-data

I was having a similar issue. I'm rooted and hoped that I'd be able to recover the Downloads folder/files. It seems that a failed login causes the /home/user/###tag file to be unmounted, and left in the vault. The data is still there, but recovering it is next to impossible at this point.

In our case the TPM barfed and screwed up the password/old password and therefore unmounted the user folder which would be encrypted anyway making nearly impossible to recover, again. Hopefully they can improve the recoverability of the encrypted folder.