start_devserver: ImportError: cannot import name 'cros_update_progress'

Simon Glass

Dec 11, 2023, 4:31:32 PM12/11/23
to Chromium OS dev
Hi,

I am trying to use the dev server as per [1]

(cr) sjg@kea /mnt/host/source/src/scripts $ start_devserver
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/start_devserver", line 48, in <module>
    import health_checker
  File "/usr/lib64/devserver/health_checker.py", line 33, in <module>
    from chromite.lib import cros_update_progress
ImportError: cannot import name 'cros_update_progress' from 'chromite.lib' (/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/chromite/lib/__init__.py)

Is anyone else using this?

Regards,
Simon

Jae Hoon Kim

Dec 11, 2023, 5:01:50 PM12/11/23
to Simon Glass, Chromium OS dev
Seems like the missing lib file was deleted in commit 70a13952f62ec514f0ef79d7344ad0083d1e97b4 (back in July)
- Someone should update the devserver scripts that leverage the missing chromite libs.

Is there a specific local development case you are using devserver for?
There might be alternatives to stage/store/serve artifacts from gs://

-Jae

Simon Glass

Dec 11, 2023, 5:37:57 PM12/11/23
to Jae Hoon Kim, Chromium OS dev
Hi,

On Mon, 11 Dec 2023 at 15:01, Jae Hoon Kim <kim...@google.com> wrote:

> Seems like the missing lib file was deleted in commit 70a13952f62ec514f0ef79d7344ad0083d1e97b4 (back in July)
> - Someone should update the devserver scripts that leverage the missing chromite libs.
>
> Is there a specific local development case you are using devserver for?
> There might be alternatives to stage/store/serve artifacts from gs://

Well this is so I can update packages on the dev board rather than
building a new image.

I didn't see a deprecation notice, but I may have missed int?

Regards,
Simon

Jae Hoon Kim

Dec 11, 2023, 10:11:40 PM12/11/23
On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 2:37 PM Simon Glass <s...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, 11 Dec 2023 at 15:01, Jae Hoon Kim <kim...@google.com> wrote:

> Seems like the missing lib file was deleted in commit 70a13952f62ec514f0ef79d7344ad0083d1e97b4 (back in July)
> - Someone should update the devserver scripts that leverage the missing chromite libs.
>
> Is there a specific local development case you are using devserver for?
> There might be alternatives to stage/store/serve artifacts from gs://

Well this is so I can update packages on the dev board rather than
building a new image.

Got it, `cros deploy` might(?) meet most requirements for individual package updates, however I can't say for sure.

I didn't see a deprecation notice, but I may have missed int?

I don't think it's fully deprecated, maybe we should consider it though as this broken script wasn't caught until now.

--
-Jae

Mike Frysinger

Dec 12, 2023, 11:26:01 AM12/12/23
to Jae Hoon Kim, Simon Glass, Chromium OS dev
if the code has been broken for 2 quarters and no one noticed, let's delete it
-mike