overlay-amd64-generic/scripts/disk_layout.json

Ted

May 25, 2022, 4:18:00 PM5/25/22
to ChromiumOS Development
Many partitions' scheme/format are not defined in disk_layout.json.

Then which file is refered by build_image? (for building partitions)

AFAIK overlay-amd64-generic/scripts/disk_layout.json just replaces scripts/build_library/legacy_disk_layout.json, not overlays.

Mike Frysinger

May 26, 2022, 8:56:37 AM5/26/22
to Ted, ChromiumOS Development
it doesn't replace it, it extends it.  that's why the file starts off with:
  "parent": "legacy_disk_layout.json",

at this point, we should prob switch the generics to the latest disk layout and clean up some of the obsolete extensions we have in there.
-mike

Message has been deleted

Mike Frysinger

May 26, 2022, 2:12:36 PM5/26/22
to Denny Lockhart, ChromiumOS Development, Ted
the existence of the partition does not imply the feature would be turned on.  it just reserves the space.

that said, it prob would be possible to enable network recovery for amd64-generic with prob not too much effort.  i think it was just a USE flag toggle.
-mike

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 7:21 PM Denny Lockhart <denny.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
Mike,

> at this point, we should prob switch the generics to the latest disk layout

I'm wondering if the latest disk layout, I think v3, would include the MiniOS and Network Recovery.

I'm not sure if that feature will only be implemented on newer devices or possibly (hopefully), on all current devices still getting updates. 🤔

Thanx,
~DennyL

Jae Hoon Kim

May 26, 2022, 4:06:46 PM5/26/22
to Mike Frysinger, Denny Lockhart, ChromiumOS Development, Ted
On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 11:12 AM Mike Frysinger <vap...@chromium.org> wrote:
the existence of the partition does not imply the feature would be turned on.  it just reserves the space.

that said, it prob would be possible to enable network recovery for amd64-generic with prob not too much effort.  i think it was just a USE flag toggle.
-mike

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 7:21 PM Denny Lockhart <denny.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
Mike,

> at this point, we should prob switch the generics to the latest disk layout

I'm wondering if the latest disk layout, I think v3, would include the MiniOS and Network Recovery.

To try it out w/ limited extent on existing boards on pre-v3 layouts: follow the part about `Locally testing on older devices` in the README