Enable linux VM on managed accounts - Appimages only

gabriele vidali

May 31, 2024, 4:45:30 PMMay 31
to ChromiumOS Development, gabriele vidali

Dmitry Torokhov

May 31, 2024, 4:53:30 PMMay 31
to gabriele vidali, ChromiumOS Development
Hi Gabriele,

Disabling Crostini (Linux VM) is a decision of your domain administrator. Please speak to them and see if they will be willing to enable access (which is done through the Google admin console).

We unfortunately currently do not have management capabilities to control what software is deployed and is running in a VM, so that might be the reason why the functionality is disabled for the devices in your domain.

Thanks,
Dmitry

gabriele vidali

May 31, 2024, 5:41:51 PMMay 31
to dt...@chromium.org, chromiu...@chromium.org

I'm not talking about a school managed device, it's just a standard device managed by parents.

Dmitry Torokhov

May 31, 2024, 5:50:46 PMMay 31
to gabriele vidali, chromiu...@chromium.org
Ah, I see. Yes, crostini is indeed disabled for children's accounts, lack of management tools is one of the big factors.

Dominik Behr

Jun 3, 2024, 1:27:45 PMJun 3
to ChromiumOS Development, Dmitry Torokhov, chromiu...@chromium.org, gabriele vidali
As a consolation, there is online Arduino IDE that works pretty well. And online Scratch editor. Which is pure OG Chromebook experience ;-)

gabriele vidali

Jun 11, 2024, 7:56:17 AMJun 11
to Dominik Behr, ChromiumOS Development, Dmitry Torokhov
I know, but that's limited to a bunch of boards compared to the full ide.
Besides Arduino, however, nobody finds the idea to have a managed appimages store useful at all.
Or it's just too much work ?
I thought that implementing the playstore approval workflow to another store would be something almost trivial