partition sizes: "base" vs. "usb"

Luigi Semenzato

Apr 19, 2023, 12:09:02 PM4/19/23
to ChromiumOS Development
When running chromeos-install to clone a USB image on the internal disk, are the partition sizes determined by the "base" layout in disk_layout.json?  How is that information passed to chromeos-install?

And is there any way of building a USB image that would automatically pick the rootfs size based on its content?  It may not matter much as long as the tools that operate on it preserve the zero-holes, but I doubt that that's the case.

Thanks!

Jae Hoon Kim

Apr 19, 2023, 4:33:46 PM4/19/23
to Luigi Semenzato, ChromiumOS Development
On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 9:09 AM 'Luigi Semenzato' via ChromiumOS Development <chromiu...@chromium.org> wrote:
When running chromeos-install to clone a USB image on the internal disk, are the partition sizes determined by the "base" layout in disk_layout.json?  How is that information passed to chromeos-install?

Hi Luigi,

Yes, it's derived from base as the image type.
You can also look at the parent layouts it inherits from.

The layout information is set during build time scripts that are generated and written out as write_gpt.sh.
When you run chromeos-install, it's essentially creating the partition table as set here.

-Jae