Question about lsb-release & os-release

Bin

Jul 16, 2024, 1:15:37 PM (8 days ago) Jul 16
to ChromiumOS Development
A part of ChromiumOS Configuration > /etc/lsb-release doc says: If it is not marked as Usable, then you must not parse it out for anything other than informational display to users.

Why I must not pase it out? the value of fields are just texts.
Even if I read & analyze the text value from other program, it would not modify /etc/lsb-release or affect to other system.
What is the meaning of the 'parse' in here exactly?
Reading? Analyzing? or Modifying?

Mike Frysinger

Jul 16, 2024, 1:42:24 PM (8 days ago) Jul 16
to Bin, ChromiumOS Development
we do not guarantee the stability of the fields.  maybe they'll change formats, maybe we'll delete them, maybe they'll be locked to.
-mike

Denny Lockhart

Jul 16, 2024, 3:35:46 PM (8 days ago) Jul 16
to ChromiumOS Development, Mike Frysinger, ChromiumOS Development, Bin
Bin,

The /etc/lsb-release file is evidently 'sourced' since it's contents are in your environment.
I know some of the variables are used in the .conf scripts under /etc/init/ on chromeOS.
So it is used for 'other than informational display to users' in some cases.

~DennyL

Mike Frysinger

Jul 16, 2024, 3:43:38 PM (8 days ago) Jul 16
to Denny Lockhart, ChromiumOS Development, Bin
eh ?  what do you mean they're "in your environment" ?  nothing sources these, nor could they as they aren't valid shell code.

$ dash -c '. /etc/lsb-release'
dash: 5: /etc/lsb-release: OS: not found
dash: 12: /etc/lsb-release: Build: not found
dash: 13: /etc/lsb-release: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

$ bash -c '. /etc/lsb-release'
/etc/lsb-release: line 5: OS: command not found
/etc/lsb-release: line 12: Build: command not found
/etc/lsb-release: line 13: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/etc/lsb-release: line 13: `CHROMEOS_RELEASE_DESCRIPTION=15948.0.0 (Test Build - root) developer-build betty'
-mike

Denny Lockhart

Jul 16, 2024, 3:56:16 PM (8 days ago) Jul 16
to ChromiumOS Development, Mike Frysinger, ChromiumOS Development, Bin, Denny Lockhart
Mike,

I may be mistaken but when I compare the contents of /etc/lsb-release and the output of the 'env' command I find the same variables defined so I assumed the /etc/lsb-release file was sourced but maybe I assumed wrong.
However, the same variables in the file are in your environment but maybe through some other means than sourcing them.

Also, the 'ChromiumOS Configuration' document does say:
- 'If it is not marked as Usable, then you must not parse it out for anything other than informational display to users.'
The variables I see in the .conf scripts are marked as USABLE afaict.

~DennyL

Mike Frysinger

Jul 16, 2024, 3:59:00 PM (8 days ago) Jul 16
to Denny Lockhart, ChromiumOS Development, Bin
yes, we have old code that predates the guidance, and we haven't spent time fixing them

if you're running shell in crosh, i think Chromium Ash will read lsb-release and put a few settings into the env.  also a historical artifact we haven't cleaned up.  but that is only for the browser and its children, it isn't for init services.
-mike