chormebook Asus c300 linux not available

Yuri

Oct 13, 2021, 2:01:56 AM10/13/21
to Chromium OS Development
Hi all,
Does anyone know how to install Linux into a chromebook asus c300? I went to settings/advanced but their isn't an option for developer mode.

Thanks for your help,
Yuri

Daniel Verkamp

Oct 13, 2021, 5:40:48 PM10/13/21
to Yuri, Chromium OS Development
Hi Yuri,

I'm assuming you are asking about running Linux in a VM within Chrome
OS as in https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/9145439 as
opposed to fully replacing Chrome OS with a normal Linux distribution
on your device.

If this is the Asus Chromebook C300 'quawks' device with a Bay Trail
CPU, it does not have the necessary hardware support for VMs:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/docs/+/HEAD/containers_and_vms.md#baytrail-systems

However, if you are referring to the more recent Asus Chromebook
C300SA 'terra' device with a Braswell CPU, it supports VMs and should
have the Linux option in the Developers settings page. If your device
supports VMs but still does not have the option, it could be disabled
by policy if your Chromebook is managed by an organization (e.g. a
school).

-- Daniel
> --

Harry Cutts

Oct 18, 2021, 3:26:16 PM10/18/21
to Chromium OS Development, Daniel Verkamp, Chromium OS Development, yurickor...@gmail.com
If you want to replace Chrome OS with Linux, then you will need developer mode. It's not in the settings, though; you can find out how to enable it in the Developer Mode docs.