Is my chromebook still safe ?

Gianluca Cavallo

1:27 AM (21 hours ago) 1:27 AM
to ChromiumOS Development
hello,
After I found this error on my chromebook:

 trusted_key: device-mapper: crypt: dm-6: INTEGRITY AEAD ERROR, sector 2097024

I performed a powerwash.
Now I found this error:

[  1.805683] WARNING chromeos_startup: [security_manager.cc(191)] Missing trusted DLC verity digests file.: No such file or directory (2) [  1.805711] WARNING chromeos_startup: [security_manager.cc(204)] Forcing LoadPin to ingest /dev/null. [  1.805724] WARNING chromeos_startup: [security_manager.cc(211)] Unable to setup trusted DLC verity digests: Invalid argument (22) [  1.805738] WARNING chromeos_startup: [chromeos_startup.cc(372)] Failed to setup LoadPin verity digests. [  1.808651] NMI watchdog: Enabled. Permanently consumes one hw-PMU counter.

So my question is:
Is my chromebook stll safe ?
Are my data are still encrypted and the integrity of my device protected ?

If it is not, how can I restore the device data integrity and encryption without to enable the developer mode ?
I underline that I NEVER enable the developer mode. I don't want to lost the upgrade and the effective of the titan chip... if it is still valid.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.

Jae Hoon Kim

2:44 AM (20 hours ago) 2:44 AM
to Gianluca Cavallo, ChromiumOS Development
On Tue, Jul 2, 2024 at 10:27 PM Gianluca Cavallo <cavallo.gianl...@gmail.com> wrote:
hello,
After I found this error on my chromebook:

 trusted_key: device-mapper: crypt: dm-6: INTEGRITY AEAD ERROR, sector 2097024

I performed a powerwash.
Now I found this error:

[  1.805683] WARNING chromeos_startup: [security_manager.cc(191)] Missing trusted DLC verity digests file.: No such file or directory (2) [  1.805711] WARNING chromeos_startup: [security_manager.cc(204)] Forcing LoadPin to ingest /dev/null. [  1.805724] WARNING chromeos_startup: [security_manager.cc(211)] Unable to setup trusted DLC verity digests: Invalid argument (22) [  1.805738] WARNING chromeos_startup: [chromeos_startup.cc(372)] Failed to setup LoadPin verity digests. [  1.808651] NMI watchdog: Enabled. Permanently consumes one hw-PMU counter.

So my question is:
Is my chromebook stll safe ?

Most likely Gianluca, however, I can't say without looking at your device logs.
The initial portion of your logs seem to suggest that there was some sort of corruption (maybe filesystem).

Nonetheless, the newer logs are merely warnings, and thus can be disregarded.

Are my data are still encrypted and the integrity of my device protected ?

If it is not, how can I restore the device data integrity and encryption without to enable the developer mode ?
I underline that I NEVER enable the developer mode. I don't want to lost the upgrade and the effective of the titan chip... if it is still valid.

Assuming that you have not tampered with developer mode, you can submit a listnr report for someone to investigate.