Python 2 removal coming up

Mike Frysinger

Nov 19, 2021, 12:25:21 PM11/19/21
to chromium-os-dev
as announced over 2 years ago for CrOS, Python 2 is EOL.  the majority of projects have been ported already, so we're starting the process of removing Python 2 from the tree.

what does this mean for you ?  hopefully nothing as all the code you work on is Python 3 already :).

one big KI are autotest tests.  Derek announced support for migrating those to Python 3.  while some tests have migrated, not all have.  so any still left over by 1 Jan 2022 will be disabled and ultimately removed.  if there are tests you care about that haven't been ported, it's strongly recommended that they be ported asap to maintain coverage.

here's a FAQ?
  • Q: If tests are deleted, doesn't that mean we'll have less coverage?
    A: Correct.
  • Q: If we're going to lose coverage, shouldn't we keep the tests instead?
    A: Nope.
  • Q: But aren't those tests important?
    A: Unmaintained code is dead code, and we remove dead code.
  • Q: My non-test related code/feature needs Python 2 to build.  Will it be removed?
    A: Yep.
  • Q: But people like my feature.  I would like to keep it.
    A: We also would like you to keep it.  You should port it to Python 3.
-mike