Resizing ROOTFS and install failure.

Alex Frick

Nov 30, 2021, 9:42:48 PM11/30/21
to Chromium OS Development
I am currently adding packages as well as building chromium locally and adding firmware to cros. This takes up more space than the default 2GB rootfs allows, but setting it any higher makes an install from USB fail, albeit that the USB itself boots and works fine. How can I set the rootfs to something like 4gb with it still installing correctly with chromeos-install?

Mike Frysinger

Nov 30, 2021, 10:12:59 PM11/30/21
to Alex Frick, Chromium OS Development
edit the disk layout to increase the size or pass --adjust_part when running build_image.  build_image --help has examples.
-mike

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 9:42 PM Alex Frick <alex3...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am currently adding packages as well as building chromium locally and adding firmware to cros. This takes up more space than the default 2GB rootfs allows, but setting it any higher makes an install from USB fail, albeit that the USB itself boots and works fine. How can I set the rootfs to something like 4gb with it still installing correctly with chromeos-install?

Alex Frick

Nov 30, 2021, 10:31:54 PM11/30/21
to Chromium OS Development, Mike Frysinger, Chromium OS Development, Alex Frick
I tried that. What finally worked is setting both rootfs A and B to the same numbers, with fs_size set to 24mb smaller than size. Also, about my questions here https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/chromium-os-dev/c/jTrrpZJhd1U/m/Ii1LgewcGAAJ and here https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/chromium-os-dev/c/jTrrpZJhd1U/m/Ii1LgewcGAAJ, I discovered that setting chrome_media no longer does the trick as google stopped serving chromium binaries for cros with codecs from the portage binhost in google bucket storage around the same time they restricted api keys (go figure). So now one has to build chromium for chromiumos with cros_sdk --chrome_root=//pathtochrome and exportCHROME_ORIGIN=LOCAL_SOURCE in the chroot, BOTH of which are not documented except for one small mention of CHROME_ORIGIN in chromeos-base/chromeos-chrome .ebuild(s). I asked multiple times on chromiumos discuss, chromium os dev, and chromium os media with no help. Took a month of reading source code and looking at fyde os and cloudready's publicly available overlays to figure it out.
This should be documented better, because many people like myself and arnoldthebat and wayne os want to make non debug builds that have codecs and api keys for more general usage.