[ACTION REQUIRED] Glibc 2.32 update coming to Chrome OS on Monday, April 12

Manoj Gupta

Apr 9, 2021, 6:25:28 PM4/9/21
to Chromium OS dev

Tl;dr:  Update will be done on Monday, April 12. For non-stable manifest users, we recommend not syncing the developer chroots until the next announcement in the same email thread.

The Chrome OS toolchain team is planning to update Glibc to version 2.32 on Monday, April 12, 2021 in the morning (PDT).. Glibc provides the C library and affects all binaries in the chroot and target chromebooks. While we have tested this glibc update extensively, Glibc is still risky to upgrade and difficult to rollback. We plan to monitor the rollout for 48-72 hours after the glibc update.

The stable manifest will not be updated during this time frame. If you are using the “main” manifest and not the stable manifest, we recommend not syncing or doing ‘git pull’ in the chroot until the next announcement. Otherwise, if something goes wrong with this upgrade, your chroot may need to be discarded . We will send another email when we think that it is safe to sync the chroots again. To tell which manifest you're on, please see [Checking manifest] below.

For any breakages you think are due to this update, please open a bug at https://crbug.com under the component  "Tools>ChromeOS-Toolchain" or contact us at chromeos-...@google.com .

Thanks,

Manoj

(Chrome OS toolchain team)

[Checking manifest main or stable]

The manifest you're on depends on the branch you passed to `repo` when setting up your checkout with `repo init -b <branch>`. If you're unsure whether you're on the stable manifest, you can do:

```

cd ${chromeos_dir} && git -C .repo/manifests rev-parse --abbrev-ref --symbolic-full-name '@{u}'

```

If this outputs `origin/stable`, you're tracking the stable manifest. Otherwise, you're probably not.

Mike Frysinger

Apr 10, 2021, 8:33:47 PM4/10/21
to Manoj Gupta, Chromium OS dev
you can check manifest settings too by running:
$ repo info | head -n3
Manifest branch: refs/heads/main
Manifest merge branch: refs/heads/main
Manifest groups: all,-notdefault

Manoj Gupta

Apr 19, 2021, 11:08:47 AM4/19/21
to Mike Frysinger, Chromium OS dev
All glibc related issues have been resolved so feel free to sync the chroots.