Chromebook screen is not working after flashrom -E

Kyungtae Kim

Oct 4, 2021, 11:30:46 AM10/4/21
to Chromium OS Development
Hello,

My Pixelbookgo recently has this screen issue after accidently erashing flash memory using flashrom -E. Even though nothing shows up on the display screen,
(white) light is on when the power cable is plugged in and
serial consoles (e.g., /dev/ttyUSBX) are still accessible via suzyq cable.

I tried several things to resolve this, like pressing key combinations, re-flashing (and rebooting) ec from the workstation connected with DUT, etc, but unfortunatley nothing can recover the screen.

I hope this is not a physical HW issue. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

(I just attached "version" information below just in case.)

> version  (from ttyUSB0)
Chip:    g cr50 B2-C
Board:   0
RO_A:    0.0.10/29d77172
RO_B:  * 0.0.11/4d655eab
RW_A:    Error
RW_B:  * 0.5.30/cr50_v1.9311_mp.7-535187521e
BID A:   00000000:00000000:00000000 Yes
BID B:   00000000:00000000:00000000 Yes
Build:   0.5.30/cr50_v1.9311_mp.7-535187521e
         tpm2:v1.9308_26_0.55-aced358
         cryptoc:v1.9308_26_0.7-8af3e03
         2021-05-28 01:22:54 @chromeos-ci-factory-us-central2-

> version   (from ttyUSB2)
Chip:    Nuvoton NPCX796F B.02
Board:   7
RO:      atlas_v2.0.8910-557b9dd40
RW:      atlas_v2.0.8910-557b9dd40
Build:   atlas_v2.0.8910-557b9dd40
         2021-05-22 01:29:45 kkim@kkim-Modern-14-A10M

Regards,
Kyungtae

Peter Marheine

Oct 4, 2021, 7:12:16 PM10/4/21
to Kyungtae Kim, Chromium OS Development
Which flash did you accidentally erase? Since your EC is alive and you don't mention trying to flash AP firmware, it looks like you erased the AP flash so the main processor can't boot. Flashing your AP firmware (emerge chromeos-bootimage) will probably help, though completely erasing the AP flash will also have erased data that normally doesn't get touched which you'll probably need to manually rebuild. In particular, the VPD section contains the system serial number that you'll probably need to reprogram.

Kyungtae Kim

Oct 5, 2021, 3:55:10 PM10/5/21
to Chromium OS Development, Peter Marheine, Chromium OS Development, Kyungtae Kim
Thanks for the answer, Peter.
I don't think I speicified some targets other than -E option when doing "flashrom". That seemed to end up erasing AP firmware unfortunately.

The following link can help find out private data like VPD, I guess.
and Im not sure about this, but please let me know if some prebuilt AP firmware images are available for PixelbookGo online.

Regards,
Kyungtae

Peter Marheine

Oct 5, 2021, 9:32:25 PM10/5/21
to Kyungtae Kim, Chromium OS Development, Peter Marheine
I'm not sure if they're available anywhere else, but you can definitely get the AP firmware image out of an OS image- the chromeos-firmwareupdate tool is a self-extracting zip containing firmware images that you should be able to extract with your favorite unzipping tool and should be able to manually extract from an OS image.

Kyungtae Kim

Oct 14, 2021, 5:50:17 PM10/14/21
to Chromium OS Development, Peter Marheine, Chromium OS Development, Kyungtae Kim
It worked. Thank you.

Regards,
Kyungtae