What's the suggested path for pinned firmware images in SYSROOT?

Yu-Ping Wu

May 13, 2024, 5:53:32 PMMay 13
to ChromiumOS Development, Mike Frysinger
The BCS firmware versions are pinned in project configs. We'd like to add a new build artifact pinned_firmware.tar.bz2, which contains AP and EC firmware images from the pinned versions. The artifact will be created by the builder, by packing the "pinned_firmware" directory inside SYSROOT. The proposed "${SYSROOT}/pinned_firmware/" path, however, got pushed back in the CL. So, what's the suggested path?

Or, should we move the current "/firmware" to "/firmware/local", and then add the new one as "/firmware/pinned"?

Mike Frysinger

May 14, 2024, 3:54:34 AMMay 14
to Yu-Ping Wu, ChromiumOS Development
you can find suggested FS layout at go/cros-fs.  we do not want to go dumping random paths directly into $SYSROOT/ as that follows FHS conventions.  we have a few historical aberrations (including /firmware/), but we don't want to make this worse.

/firmware/ is typically the output of the build for all firmware related files so it can be a standalone artifact for all the firmware that's in the OS build.  is that not aligned with what you're doing ?

the only other reasonable option is space under /build/ which is used as a staging ground for cross-package intermediate outputs that another package or build step will read from.  this is how we build DLC images for example.  maybe /build/rootfs/firmware/ would work.
-mike