Required Google APIs for logging in?

Lucas Wang

Feb 28, 2021, 3:46:00 AM2/28/21
to Chromium OS Development
Hello all,

After successfully building and installing Chromium OS to local storage, I met the problem where: upon getting to the sign-in page after selecting "personal" as the device usage, it would recognize my Google account after entering the email (and also correctly displaying my profile picture), but after entering the password and hitting enter, it would simply fail with "something went wrong".

I found another fairly recent conversation that also seems to talk about this, but it didn't seem to have any conclusive solution to the problem.

When I set up the project to use Google APIs, I had to omit some due to one reason or another (compared to the complete list in the instructions here), and I think this might be a good place to start troubleshooting:

List of omitted APIs:

Chrome Suggest API (Not found)

Chrome Translate Element (Not found)

Chrome OS Hardware ID API (Optional, Chrome OS) (Not found)

Device Registration API (Optional, Chrome OS) (Not found)

Cloud DNS API (Paid with no free tier)

(Maps) Geolocation API (Optional) (Paid with no free tier)

(Maps) Time zone API (Paid with no free tier)

Google+ API (Didn't Google+ officially terminated service?)

Speech API (Not needed at this moment)

Perhaps one/some of those omitted APIs are causing sign-in trouble?

I should mention that, aside from not being able to sign in, I have also noticed a few other issues that may be of relevance to the issue at hand:

If logged in as guest, attempting to minimize or close the already-open-on-launch chromium window would freeze the entire desktop and the mouse cursor, and the only option to get out of it is to enter the command line and sudo reboot.

The wifi card is detected by lspci but not Chromium OS, though the card is quite old so that might be why. But it does work perfectly with Ubuntu 20.10 so I'm not exactly sure what's happening there.

Any help would be appreciated!

Seongbin BAK

Feb 28, 2021, 5:01:44 AM2/28/21
to Chromium OS Development, lucas...@gmail.com
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/chromium-os-dev/c/ufzN-8I1FQ4
I don't know also what is the reason of this bug exactly.
For avoiding this bug I used chrome_dev.conf. Or used local chromium source.

For using wi-fi card, You should modify kernel option.

Lucas Wang

Mar 1, 2021, 4:25:03 AM3/1/21
to Chromium OS Development, seon...@wayne-inc.com, Lucas Wang
I see, by "used config_dev.conf" you mean providing the API credential at runtime as described by this instruction, right?

Could you please go in a bit more detail on how you did it? I tried to make rootf writable so I could edit chrome_dev.config, but:

sudo /usr/share/vboot/bin/make_dev_ssd.sh --remove_rootfs_verification

from this instruction reports that I don't have the dev mode firmware but the given command for installing them is not found. But that's ok, I usd the --force flag to get it to proceed without error. However, upon rebooting, rootf is still read-only.

So I tried doing the below from this post:

sudo su
cp /etc/chrome_dev.conf /usr/local/
mount --bind /usr/local/chrome_dev.conf /etc/chrome_dev.conf

While this makes rootf writable, upon rebooting all changes are gone.

Thanks