Is it possible to ssh chromiumOS vm remotely?

Walter Mitty

Nov 4, 2022, 4:40:30 AM11/4/22
to ChromiumOS Development
Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out how to debug chromium on chromiumOS. From this doc , I know I can running chromiumOS in vm and ssh to it locally. But my dev environment is on server-side. I compile chromium and chromiumOS on server-side. I tried to ssh chromiumOS vm with ip, but failed. Could you please give me some advice?

Thanks,
Walter

Allen Webb

Nov 4, 2022, 9:16:00 AM11/4/22
to Walter Mitty, ChromiumOS Development
It isn't exactly clear what your development setting is, but it sounds like you might have a local machine you are SSHing from and a server with a ChromiumOS VM you are trying to SSH to.

If so, there are lots of ways of getting this to work, but the more common one is to set up an SSH tunnel. The goal would be for the tunnel to make it look like the SSH port on the VM was available on your local machine so you could reach it over SSH.

If you haven't already, there is a lot of network related knowledge you might want to get a rough idea of before getting too deep into any of this to save yourself time. Some things to introduce yourself to are IP addresses and routing, sockets and ports, home networks and NAT (network address translation). Just knowing roughly what they are and what that means practically for whatever you are trying to do can help you get whatever you are trying to do to work.

For example the VM on the server is probably behind NAT so you cannot reach its IP address directly. This gives you a choice between forwarding the SSH port to some port on the server (this isn't a good idea because developer images use well known credentials), setting up an SSH tunnel to securely forward the port to your local machine, etc.

dragon788

Nov 5, 2022, 12:42:23 PM11/5/22
to Allen Webb, Walter Mitty, ChromiumOS Development
Easy/lazy answer, use ngrok or pagekite or a similar service that handles some of the proxy/NAT tunneling/bypassing for you.

Walter Mitty

Nov 9, 2022, 11:12:47 AM11/9/22
to dragon788, Allen Webb, ChromiumOS Development
Thanks A LOT for your reply. Really appreciate it and It's very helpful.